Niagra River Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaToneDog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found this bottle in the Niagra river a couple weeks back. What the heck kind of bottle is it? Its 7 inches tall, 1 and 3/4 diameter. It has a seam, there are bubble deformities in it, on the inside there is a deformation by the seam. On the bottom there is what appears to be a D or an O and what appears to be a small number 4 (or something that looks like a 4) at the 4 o'clock position. It has a pink hue to the glass as well....Ive attached pics....any guesses?

For antique bottles. There are a lot of people who collect old bottles and you will probably find this one listed. Everytime I find an old bottle that is my resource and usually the bottle is there. The seam on the side means it was molded. The bubbles indicate a early molded bottle. I have one that looks a lot like yours. The top probably held a cork. Good luck with your search.

ScubaToneDog, looks like a turn of the century pickle jar. If the seam goes to the mouth, it's post-1900s. Ever find any Indian relics diving that river?

WD

The seam ends about a half inch from the mouth...seems kinda small for a pickle jar....couldnt get more than one pickle in there...Ive never found any Native American relics in the river, but if you like old bottles and such, Niagra is the place for you. Just south of Grand Island was an old dumping ground...stuff continually gets churned up from the banks and you can find all kinds of stuff. I found an old tea cup, a ceramic button and lots of plate fragments...my dive buddy found a 1860's ink bottle in near perfect condition....The river is a great dive...3-4 knot current....vis varies....water temp is pretty warm, 70's in the summer....depth is 30 max on the upper river and 60 on the lower (with some deep pockets that can hit 125 Im told)...

Which part of the river are you diving? I've been finding alot of bottles by Strawberry Island lately.

Viz has been awesome lately :D

Looks like a old pickle bottle to me too.

All the good stuff is under the International Railroad bridge, but the current is death there 8 miles an hour. Thats where the Buffalo PD threw everything during prohibition.

Last year one of our local divers found a case of flintlock pistols still in the grease paper from the late 1800's

That old dumping ground was very close to Strawberry Island....We put in on the Canadian side just down river from the Peace bridge in Fort Erie...and by Frenchmans creek campground....thats where I found the bottle...Ive been off Don's boat over there too...but he take's you further down past all the Good Stuff...

A whole case of flintlock pistols???!!! Man, that's the find of a lifetime. REALLY hope they are taking measures to preserve them. I'm not an advocate of turning over personal finds, but finds like that are extremely rare. If there is a REPUTABLE local museum in town, that would make a very nice display of local history if LOANED a museum. And they may be able to offer some help in the preservation. What a great accomplishment to have your name posted on the plaque in the display, too.

Love to see some pictures if possible. My sister lives in Buffalo. May have to make a trip up there for some BIG river diving.

Neat!!
WD

Niagra is spelled Niagara. This correction is made to just catch the thread if someone does a search by River name. :D

OOOPS....My bad....

willydiver:
A whole case of flintlock pistols???!!! Man, that's the find of a lifetime. REALLY hope they are taking measures to preserve them. I'm not an advocate of turning over personal finds, but finds like that are extremely rare.

I personally don't know the guy who did it, so that's pretty much where it ends for me.

If anybody ever gets up this way, and wants to do a little trash/drift diving on the Niagara.

Let me know, it's 6 blocks down to the river for me :D

Back
Top Bottom