Nice article by Beth McCrea in Scubadiverlife Magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lovely article, Beth is actually an active member on SB, I have pointed out your post to her.

What is her Scubaboard handle?
If she wants to answer that I'll leave it to her. I try not to out people on fora if I happen to know their real names and they prefer a username.

Some of you may recall that a number of years ago, the Academy Award for best documentary went to a movie called The Cove, which documented the slaughter of dolphins in an area of Japan and called attention to the problems with using dolphins in exhibits in places like Sea World. The director of that movie lives in my home town, and he did a presentation on what went on behind that filming. The impetus was that a very rich man gave him a hunk of money and told him to make a film that would "make a difference." After a lot of thought and research, he decided to make that movie, but he said that it was not the movie he really wanted to make. He wanted to make a movie about the plight of phytoplankton.

He felt that the current condition of the world's phytoplankton is the real horror, and it is something we need to be very concerned about. Unfortunately, he could not figure out a way to make a movie about the plight of phytoplankton compelling enough to draw an audience the way he could with a movie about the plight of dolphins. If you want your film to "make a difference," it has to draw an audience, or else it just gets shown in an occasional marine biology classroom to that small audience that already understands and cares.

Back
Top Bottom