Nice new Scribble travel kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have it assembled backwards? ... I get to try mine out Saturday afternoon

Lol! I knew someone would ask about that... :) I assembled it logo facing down. I kinda prefer not having too much above the valve if I can help it. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours this weekend! It's small size was one of my requirements for a travel kit. If I decide to dive local cold water, I'll for sure get a Signature.

Just need an spg and my hoses.

And then the fun starts! :D

Hopefully it's a feature and not a flaw on my reg, but I've noticed that when pressurized, the logo would pop up. It's a nice indicator that things are pressurized. Mine is configured for the logo to be up.

Hmmm I'll keep an eye out for that when I try mine out thursday evening. I've dived mostly piston regs up to now, so I've never noticed one doing that. Is that normal @cerich ?

Maybe check with them? I've never used one of their regs, but I've seen a HOG D3 do that when it failed..although the hog was also hissing air...

I've read about that too when reading up on HOG's while researching which reg set to buy. That would be worrying.

Pat

Thanks, man - looking forward to the feedback! I know how it goes with working overtime... Forgot to mention, I love the blue and yellow combo...but then again, I have a Cub Scout! :thumb:

I've been lucky all week, haven't been held back more than an hour at the end of my shifts (we can't leave until relief shows up, and since there are guys missing all week from the team on the night shift I have to wait until they send someone from another station).

Ah yes, BSA Cubs colours are blue and yellow! :D Here they have grey shirts with green/yellow caps. They went back to the look we had when I was a cub sometimes in the '70s :) I'm still in it... Venturer (14-17) and Rover (18-23) Scout leader. I guess some things are for life lol!

Do you already have a dive shop in Roatan? If not I can highly recommend Sun Divers in West End.

Thanks for the recommend! I'll take note of them.

pat

Another piece to the pie arrived. Can anyone by chance point me in the direction of a green inflator hose?

Attachments

• B43764FB-5427-404C-906F-417071CE92C7.jpeg
    B43764FB-5427-404C-906F-417071CE92C7.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 167
Well as this is a travel kit, I went ahead and weighed the items:

Inside my Carry On:
Reg set: 2.02kg
Mask: 0.13kg (Cressi BigEyes evolution crystal)
Computer: 0.6kg (Suunto Zoop Novo)
Total: 2.75kg (6.1 lbs)

Inside my checked suitcase:
Fins: 1.52kg (Aqualung Express)
BCD: 2.23kg (Scubapro LiteHawk)
Snorkel: 0.17kg (Cressi)
Mesh boat bag: 0.7kg
Total: 4.62kg (10.2 lbs)

So grand total is 7.37kg (16.3 lbs)

Obviously I split my stuff so that if the airline loses my checked suitcase, I'll still have the most important items with me (mask, reg set and computer) and can rent the rest. Also I rent shortie wetsuit in the warm caribbean but am considering a 1mil skin or a 2/3mil.

Pat

Just got to decide on hose lengths!!

Just my $0.02, but I would recommend the modified DIR setup that Dive Rite recommends.

Both my son and I dive this setup instead of the conventional setup. It's more streamlined and everything is easy to get to. Plus, it gives my 12 year old son some extra confidence. When he was going through his OW cert, if the regulator came out of his mouth unexpectedly, he'd start to swim to the surface instead of trying to find it. We over came this of course, but with this setup, he knows there is a regulator right under his chin that he can easily grab as well. Its minor, and we practice out of air drills all the time, but every little bit helps when they are that young.

This setup has your 40" hose with a 90 or 270 degree elbow for your primary and secondary on a 22" or 24" and on a bungee around your neck. I tried the 22", but found it a little restrictive and went to the 24".

After diving this setup, I hate going back to the "regular" setup when I'm on vacation and have to use rental gear because I didn't bring mine, for whatever reason.

Ah yes, BSA Cubs colours are blue and yellow! :D Here they have grey shirts with green/yellow caps. They went back to the look we had when I was a cub sometimes in the '70s :) I'm still in it... Venturer (14-17) and Rover (18-23) Scout leader. I guess some things are for life lol!

Great to hear! Yeah, BSA really is for life! I'm a third generation Scout, and my boys are fourth gen. I have a 12 year old in Boy Scouts as well as my Cub Scout. My 12 year old got OW certified a year and a half ago while we still lived in San Diego with his Troop there. The scouts came to the leaders and said they wanted to learn to scuba dive, so I was lucky enough to help set that up. In all, I think we got 12 scouts certified that year, ranging in age from 10 to 16 years! We worked with Jesse Dean at San Diego Scuba Center (whom I can't recommend enough!)

Here in Japan, I'm on the troop committee and the Scouts here have now expressed an interest in learning to scuba dive, so we are working on that now. I've always been a huge proponent for the Boy Scouts and am very happy and proud to be a part of them. Glad to find a like minded diver! :)

Another piece to the pie arrived. Can anyone by chance point me in the direction of a green inflator hose?

If 26" is too long, here is another option, also from Piranha Dive Manufacturing (another company I can't recommend enough - Randy is a super friendly and helpful guy!):

One of these (find the length in green you want)
Low Pressure Rubber Hoses Piranha Dive Shop |
or these
Nylon Double Braided Low Pressure Hoses Piranha Dive Shop |

along with one of these
Regulator Hose Adapter 9/16-18 to Standard Bc Connection , Piranha Dive Shop |

It does add another potential point of failure, being it's an adapter. Some divers, especially those who cave or wreck dive, don't like any extra points of failures so it'll depend on your type of diving and comfort level.

Well as this is a travel kit, I went ahead and weighed the items:

So grand total is 7.37kg (16.3 lbs)

Also I rent shortie wetsuit in the warm caribbean but am considering a 1mil skin or a 2/3mil.

That's awesome! I need to weigh my gear for travel. Hopefully, I can get close to 16lbs as well. Yeah, I rent wetsuits and obviously weights when I travel too.

When we were in Australia this past October to dive the Great Barrier Reef, they gave us a lycra skin suit to keep us from getting scratched, contaminating the reef and to provide a basic level of protection from the sun, as well as a 5mm shortie. It was a great combo. Maybe give that a try with your shortie.

My 12 year old got OW certified a year and a half ago while we still lived in San Diego with his Troop there. ... Here in Japan, I'm on the troop committee and the Scouts here have now expressed an interest in learning to scuba dive

That's amazing! Talk about an awesome way of keeping the kids interested in the movement. Diving and various levels of Scouting do overlap quite well. Even vocational programs like Fire Explorers (in the US) or Vocational Fire Venturers here in Canada can easily integrate diving in their program.

Up here I'm working on getting an evening pool intro with the young folks in my group, but actual certification (though quite possible) is it bit more of a challenge due to our unpleasant climate making lakes and rivers here being real cold (when they are not frozen solid). Makes me wish I were in a warmer climate :)

Pat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom