Nice novelty...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fear it would encourage divers to "swim" while diving. Keep the hands tucked in!

Of course I wouldn't use them for diving but would have to retrain myself for swimming with them because I don't swim with my fingers spread like that, lol.

Funny things. @Externet, Thanks for sharing so we can all have a chuckle.

@Externet

' Webbed finger swimming fins' have had a presence since the beginning of recreational diving and possibly even before the arrival of the bubble machine

Similar items appeared in the very early US Divers (Aqua Lung) Catalogs

They had a correct name but dubbed Swim Mits by the vintage dive crowd

What is old is also new -- just add time and the uniformed

Thanks for posting-- lots of memories

SDM

@chillyinCanada
@Arcticat
@Snoweman

Strange how certain things trigger strong memories. When I was first learning to swim as a kid I would keep my fingers spread wide apart. Didn't help much with pulling me through the water. My dad, who taught swimming at the local high school pool during the summer, would reach over and clamp my fingers together with his hand whenever he saw me swim that way. He finally wrapped a piece of tape around my hands/fingers to keep my fingers together and that finally cured me of the bad habit. Guess webbed gloves would have helped too. :) M

@Externet

' Webbed finger swimming fins' have had a presence since the beginning of recreational diving and possibly even before the arrival of the bubble machine

Similar items appeared in the very early US Divers (Aqua Lung) Catalogs

They had a correct name but dubbed Swim Mits by the vintage dive crowd

What is old is also new -- just add time and the uniformed

Thanks for posting-- lots of memories

SDM

@chillyinCanada
@Arcticat
@Snoweman

You did notice that these are made of thin, pliable silicone so as to not impair the user's ability to grasp objects? I get the impression that's the improvement over those old-style swim mitts.

I saw a guy in Thailand using those - he was missing a leg. He also told everyone on the boat “this spot is where I lost the leg... I’ve come back to find the shark that did it”. I’m sure he was joking.

Almost sure he was joking.

I own two pairs and use them to dive whenever I teach paraplegics and double amputees how to Scuba. Not everyone has legs or can use them.

Back
Top Bottom