"Nicer" accommodations in West End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm researching accommodations options in West End and was wondering if there are any nicer options available. We really like the location of Splash Inn since it's in the middle of everything and very convenient to dive shops that have their docks directly across the street. However, is there something more comfortable? I'm not looking for a Four Seasons but something "nicer". I looked at the Coral Vista Villas but we're only 2 people so they don't really make sense for us.

I think we prefer to be in West End so we're walking distance to restaurants.

How close do you want to be to Splash Inn? CocoLobo is really nice and has a good price point (disclaimer, I've been there but haven't stayed there). Great set-up if you are okay with Iron Shore instead of the beach, but I think it is a 10 minute walk or so to Splash Inn.

How close do you want to be to Splash Inn? CocoLobo is really nice and has a good price point (disclaimer, I've been there but haven't stayed there). Great set-up if you are okay with Iron Shore instead of the beach, but I think it is a 10 minute walk or so to Splash Inn.

Thanks! I'll look into Cocolobo!

Iron shore or beach is not important to us. We want to dive with West End Divers and they're right next door to Splash Inn. That's why we thought that location would be perfect. However, if there aren't any close by then maybe we can dive with another shop.

Thanks! I'll look into Cocolobo!

Iron shore or beach is not important to us. We want to dive with West End Divers and they're right next door to Splash Inn. That's why we thought that location would be perfect. However, if there aren't any close by then maybe we can dive with another shop.
I dove with West End Divers in April and stayed at the Mariposa Lodge with their dive and stay package. Not an up scale place put better than the Splash Inn and I thought it was very comfortable. It is right up the hill from Splash In, less than 100 yards from the main road. I stayed in one of the rooms that had A/C and a kitchen. Had a king size bed, flat screen TV with a couple chairs, fridge stove top. It is not a fancy hotel but it is clean and comfortable and a step up from the Splash Inn from what I could see walking by it everyday.

I dove with West End Divers in April and stayed at the Mariposa Lodge with their dive and stay package. Not an up scale place put better than the Splash Inn and I thought it was very comfortable. It is right up the hill from Splash In, less than 100 yards from the main road. I stayed in one of the rooms that had A/C and a kitchen. Had a king size bed, flat screen TV with a couple chairs, fridge stove top. It is not a fancy hotel but it is clean and comfortable and a step up from the Splash Inn from what I could see walking by it everyday.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll check that out as well.

Cocolobo is nice but the walk to town is now much longer after the short cut was fenced up.

The Beach House is very nice and priced at the high end.

Tucan Hotel is nice and has a great location right across Half Moon Bay.

You can email West End Divers and ask their opinion about places in this thread for a first hand report.

Cocolobo is nice but the walk to town is now much longer after the short cut was fenced up.

The Beach House is very nice and priced at the high end.

Tucan Hotel is nice and has a great location right across Half Moon Bay.

You can email West End Divers and ask their opinion about places in this thread for a first hand report.

Great options! Thanks for your thoughts!

Cocolobo is as nice as it looks except you'll walk to the West End (closer than it looks) for dinner. I rent a house next door so have walked over and looked around once. It is on ironshore with no direct dive access but the waves breaking there at night are pleasant to sleep by.

Other upscale properties within walking distance of West End Divers:

Xbalanque - arguably the nicest in the area - possibly on Roatan if you discount some of the larger house rentals. They have their own dive operation if you're not set on West End,

2BR a little farther down the beach - being built last time we were there so I haven't seen them finished.
Villas Del Playa - 2 Bed 2 Bath

Consider the water taxi also if you find something nicer a little farther away - it goes by most waterfront properties often (there's a lot of boats) and there's several regular stops on either side of West End - including I believe their dock.

West End Divers is a competent shop but they're no better than 1/2 dozen options in the same area so I wouldn't make that my focus in terms of where to stay. Also they - and Splash - are pretty close to the bars which are loud at night.

See Splash, Mariposa in about the middle of this map - now see Nova and Booty bar just south of there - two of 5-6 bars in that area - fine if that's what you want - fine but the "thump" can go on pretty late at night as it nears the weekend - probably Thursday on.

If you decide on West End - the water taxi station is just south of there also and you can usually flag one down anywhere along the West End as far north as Seagrape or all the way on the south side of West Bay.. IDK West End's situation but we dropped all our gear at Coconut Tree on arrival and they kept/cleaned it all week.

Don't miss Rotisserie Chicken to the south for a reasonable, outdoor meal. Also the upscale restaurant on Roatan is Ooloonthoo, just about a block inland from the waterfront.. Wins all sorts of awards, two seatings, reservations required and they may have a semi-casual dress code. Vintage Pearl at Bananarama is another good option - in West Bay but do Cab back, the road isn't safe to walk at night (jogs inland) and the water texi's often stop running at dusk. Argentinian Grille for steaks - it fronts Posada Arco Iris - can't miss it. Sundowners is a good relaxing beach bar - average food, sometimes a singer. Best thing is the beach chairs there - when the tide is in you can soak your feet while enjoying a cocktail. They close pretty early though most nights.

have a good trip,
West-End.png

roatan-maps

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom