Night dive at Koloa Landing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles below

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Debating if I should schedule a guided night dive at Koloa Landing. Hubby barely do shore diving and definitely he is not doing a night dive. I have done a boat night dive off Sheraton Cavern w Fathom 5 two years ago so I thought I'll try Koloa Landing.
How is the surge at night at Koloa Landing during June?

Aloha!
Koloa Landing is a FANTASTIC dive that is relatively easy in and out as shore dives go. Right now the dive is loaded with critters including Harlequin Shrimp, Leaf Scorpions, Octopus, Horned Helmet Shells, Turtles, Lionfish, and an unusually large amount of Frogfish. I have divers come back year after year to do this dive and personally would put the critters at the Landing up against any boat dive.

June is summer swell time so my suggestion would be to dive with swell in the flat to 2 ft range. 3-4ft starts to impact vis' with the wave action in the cove. I think it's a slam dunk as a great experience and if your "Hubby" doesn't like the work of the in and out portion of shore diving most DM's are more than happy to carry gear in and out.

Check swell with your shop and I think they'll guide you for a sure thing dive treat.

Best of island wishes and feel free to send me any specific questions you may have
A

Thank you!
I scheduled my night shore dive w your shop, Fathom 5, Tuesday June 7night and diving AM at tunnels on Friday, June 10.
I have done several AM/night dives from the boat and I thought I should try a night dive at Koloa Landing. I also have done PM shore dives at
tunnels w your shop two yrs ago.
Couple of my newly certified friends, Chris C and David K are scheduled on your AM boat dives on June 4&5. I'm sure you'll take good care of them!
See you all soon, be safe, and have fun!
Evy

I did two tanks at Koloa landing May 7th during the day, there was a lot of sea life, turtles, dragon moray, several types of frogfish and lots more. It was a great dive, and the exit and entry wasn't too bad even with a little surge. I imagine it would make a nice night dive as well, I definitely will do this dive anytime I'm on Kauai.

I agree with Aquaman's reply. Koloa Landing has such a great variety of life that will rival a night boat site. Also, maybe think about a 2 tank "Na Pali - Mana Crack / Rocket Reef" trip while you're out here. You'll have better luck seeing bigger critters out there and tons of great topography. It starts off 2 miles offshore from Polihale and heads north along the Na Pali coast. Epic diving!

I was hoping to dive Mana Crack/Na Pali w Bubbles Below Kauai but they only do the tour on Thursday and we check-out that day.
And Niahua is a long day leaving our kids behind at the hotel. In 4 years, I can leave them behind and not worry.
T-minus two days off to Hawaii!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom