Night dive that did not go well..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRScuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Last night a dive boat came into Lighthouse Point with a diver that took a hit.

Talked to one of the instructors that was on the AOW certification dive and this is what he said.

The dive was normal from start to finish. It a was a 60' night wreck dive. The diver went down to the wreck and ascended to the 15' safety stop for 3 minutes. When the diver surfaced he told the dive boat operator he had a pain in his chest. He was immediately put on oxygen and the boat radioed for help. When the boat arrived I noticed about 3 people on oxygen. Fire Rescue took one of them ( male in his early 20's, with the chest pain) to the hospital for a checkup.

When I arrived at the marina a man said said he got the boat radio transmission on his marine radio and called Fire Rescue. My thanks to him and everyone involved.

Makes you feel good knowing that if we get into trouble there are people that step up to the plate.

Now I am wondering if the diver took a hit or was there something else the caused the pain.

What are your thoughts on what could have caused the pain. The information above is all I know that happened.

Chest pain is one possible symptom of DCS, so it could be that. Or the guy has now discovered he's not in as great a shape as was thought. OR it could have been a gas bubble in the esophogas that cleared up later after an unexpected burp. The others on O2 could have just been put on as a precaution or to otherwise keep the babblers occupied and not creating more stress than is already present.

So little to go on, so much can be speculated about.... IT is excellent to know that the other boat relayed the message on to the FD and had help waiting on scene, it demonstrates just how some folks really do care. :)

Best of thoughts to them.

THREE people? I live and hope that if something every happens to me that someone else picks each action I did apart and uses those real life examples to train the new recruits so they need never make the same mistakes I made.

With that in mind...

Was their dive time greatly longer than yours? (calls for a guess)

Did all three get their fills at the same place?

Just curious as a 60' common dive and young 20 something year old getting hit makes us 37 yro's wonder about our diving habits.

Eric

JRScuba:
Last night a dive boat came into Lighthouse Point with a diver that took a hit.

Talked to one of the instructors that was on the AOW certification dive and this is what he said.

The dive was normal from start to finish. It a was a 60' night wreck dive. The diver went down to the wreck and ascended to the 15' safety stop for 3 minutes. When the diver surfaced he told the dive boat operator he had a pain in his chest. He was immediately put on oxygen and the boat radioed for help. When the boat arrived I noticed about 3 people on oxygen. Fire Rescue took one of them ( male in his early 20's, with the chest pain) to the hospital for a checkup.

When I arrived at the marina a man said said he got the boat radio transmission on his marine radio and called Fire Rescue. My thanks to him and everyone involved.

Makes you feel good knowing that if we get into trouble there are people that step up to the plate.

Now I am wondering if the diver took a hit or was there something else the caused the pain.

What are your thoughts on what could have caused the pain. The information above is all I know that happened.
JR your opening statement concluded the diver"took a hit". You then go on to say you dont know. This dive profile does not appear to be a DCS candidate on the surface.(no pun intended) Please dont speculate many read these posts and IMO I think get un-justly alarmed.

P.S. Not trying to be an a........e sorry if I came off that way above.

He might have held his breath on the way up. When I say "took a hit" I'm always talking about getting bent. It seems more likely that he embolized. Anyway, if he was on a dive charter, the call should have been made on ch 16, to the Coast Guard. I don't understand why a citizen was required to make the patch to fire rescue. Maybe the radio wasn't transmitting very well. The fact that there were two other patients is wierd too. All in all a strange occurrence.

mnj1233:
JR your opening statement concluded the diver"took a hit". You then go on to say you dont know. This dive profile does not appear to be a DCS candidate on the surface.(no pun intended) Please dont speculate many read these posts and IMO I think get un-justly alarmed.

P.S. Not trying to be an a........e sorry if I came off that way above.

Correct, the first line is what I was told initially.

Then went on to say that to me it did not appear he took a hit. Which is why I posted this, to see if someone with more experience could generate a reason for the occurance.

As CBULLA did. Also it says that I did not have anymore information then was posted.

I am well aware of the people that read these posts. A wealth of experience of the dive community does READ this board. I have always respected their opinions. Hopefully they will come up with some kind of reason as to what happened. Which is why I posted it, to try and get an explination of what the diver might have experienced.

There is NO SPECULATION in my post other then MY OWN OPINION and my concern as to what really could of happened.

You see, if the opinions of other people can at least come close to what happened, EVERYONE is more aware of what could happen.

I think that is why this board is here. I'm quite sure you will agree to that.

Thank You for your concern.
Joe

O.K. Just think DCS is often cited when in fact many other conditions would MORE likely be the cause. DCS considered sure but I wouldnt start there unless the dive profile or ascent circumstances pointed to that. We agree I think so No Offense Intended.

Scubakevdm:
He might have held his breath on the way up. When I say "took a hit" I'm always talking about getting bent. It seems more likely that he embolized. Anyway, if he was on a dive charter, the call should have been made on ch 16, to the Coast Guard. I don't understand why a citizen was required to make the patch to fire rescue. Maybe the radio wasn't transmitting very well. The fact that there were two other patients is wierd too. All in all a strange occurrence.

The civilian said he ws monitoring channel 16 and I guess he thought he could help. I spoke with Jerry ( Parrot Island ) later and said he heard the comunnication that went on. Some times things slide through the crack and it was nice that he was in the loop. Fire Rescue was called, communicated to the boat and met it at the marina.
Thankfully it ended on a happier note, considering what could have happened.

I appreciate you input.

Thanks Kevin.

Joe

mnj1233:
O.K. Just think DCS is often cited when in fact many other conditions would MORE likely be the cause. DCS considered sure but I wouldnt start there unless the dive profile or ascent circumstances pointed to that. We agree I think so No Offense Intended.

I appreciate your concern. But everyone talks or writes things differently. Hopefully when people hear or read it they come up with the same conclusion.

No offense taken.

Have a nice day and Dive Safely.:wink:

Thats why one of the things to consider is all the different possibilities, especially when not directly involved. Even those directly involved may not know all the circumstances which occured to create the situation... hmm sometimes even the victim doesn't know either! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom