Night diving - what is it like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I've dived cenotes and they're kind of dark, but haven't night dived yet. My initial thoughts are that it's scary. What is it like? Do you like it or hate it? I don't hear it being discussed too often and I don't think many people do it. Why?

In warm water there are lots of critters that only show at night. One of my favourite night dives was in Bonaire, on a full moon. Turned off my dive light and let my eyes get adjusted. It was neat coming back in over the sandy shallows in the moonlight. You also get bioluminescence in the water, wave your hands around and microscopic plankton fire up as blue flashes in the dark.

Night diving here in the Great Lakes is just dark.

I recommend doing a dive at the site you're interested in by daylight to understand what's there before you try it as a night dive.

Oh, and keep the beam of your light out of your buddy's eyes so as not to wreck their night vision.

In warm water there are lots of critters that only show at night. One of my favourite night dives was in Bonaire, on a full moon. Turned off my dive light and let my eyes get adjusted. It was neat coming back in over the sandy shallows in the moonlight. You also get bioluminescence in the water, wave your hands around and microscopic plankton fire up as blue flashes in the dark.

Night diving here in the Great Lakes is just dark.

I recommend doing a dive at the site you're interested in by daylight to understand what's there before you try it as a night dive.

I suppose it's very rewarding if I can overcome the fear?

Many people like night diving because different animals come out. There are lots of cool critters and behaviors you won't see during the day. When we dove locally I actually got to prefer night diving over day, since I wasn't frying in the sun in a wetsuit and often there was more to see at night. And it's not like you can see all that well on most daytime dives around New England anyway.

It can be more challenging/scary/whatever for many people at first, but it's really just another set of skills to learn and you can get over that if you are so inclined. It's true that not everyone night dives. At your typical warm water resort or liveaboard, you will have a fair number of people that don't like it or simply aren't interested, some that go occasionally, and some that love it and go every chance they get. For me, it depends how good the night diving is someplace, vs. how tempted I get by a drink with dinner, or bed.

Imho night dives are either fabulous or a bust. We were on one (11p in Bonaire) and all we saw we sleeping parrot fish and tarpon feeding off our lights (we were on Bari reef). Spooky to turn off our dive lights and see....nothing! We have found dusk dives better but we plan to do both next week and will report back

It is absolutely amazing. Bonaire shore night dives were my favorite. If you are a little apprehensive, I would do it with a larger group. The multiple lights of each person will light up the reef plenty. Reduces the "scariness" of the first night dive.

I took the course and did a couple of other night dives. Biggest problem was buddies not staying close enough to see them even with the big light. Not unlike some buddies in daylight.... Don't know why I haven't pursued it. Probably just too lazy.

Scared? Enter at dusk and let darkness come upon you....easiest way to overcome that fear....it's awesome.

I've done a couple of night dives at Cozumel, and they were awesome! We saw octopuses hunting, giant crabs, and a squid came up to me to check me out. Up here in the Puget Sound area, I done lots of night dives, and they were really cool as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom