Night diving - what is it like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really: it's the filament that goes pop from thermal expansion, I don't believe HID lights have that.

I was, of course, being tongue-in-cheek. Filaments aren't the only failure point, and some HID bulbs are pretty fragile. That said, are there any dive lights out there anymore that use filaments? Most I've seen these days are LED ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Night diving rocks! As mentioned earlier, if you are a little apprehensive, go with a larger group that agrees to stay close together. It will help calm your nerves, give you more light and allow you to enjoy your first couple night dives that much more.

A little apprehension is normal on a night dive. I remember my first, during my AOW class. After the dive my instructor said to me "Bob, you're a nice guy. But I never want you that close to me again." I guess I just wanted to make sure I didn't lose him in the dark. Nowadays I do most of my night diving solo.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was, of course, being tongue-in-cheek. Filaments aren't the only failure point, and some HID bulbs are pretty fragile.

The ones in movie projectors made a very impressive pop. 99% of the time they'd shatter the mirror they're sitting at the focus of, that was like a third of an inch thick. And that's a 35 mm, we had a couple of 70 mm cannons where I worked but I've never seen one blow a lamp.

There are still a lot of people with HIDs they bought when LEDs didn't compare. Also newer divers who bought HIDs used/new once they were reduced in price because LEDs were too competitively priced.

Seems like every time I've seen a HID for sale these last couple years they have been darn cheap. That's gotta create a few fans.

There are still a lot of people with HIDs they bought when LEDs didn't compare. Also newer divers who bought HIDs used/new once they were reduced in price because LEDs were too competitively priced.

Seems like every time I've seen a HID for sale these last couple years they have been darn cheap. That's gotta create a few fans.

My primary is still an old Salvo HID light I purchased in 2004. Still works great, although it's been through a couple batteries, bulbs and cords since I first purchased it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Incredible timing on this thread - we just did our first night dives this past weekend. It's my new favorite thing. I'm not prone to freaking out, but you never know how you're going to react in a new situation. Neither one of us were scared, even a little bit. Even during our pre-arranged "blackout" period where we all turned off our lights and covered our glowsticks. We did our dive in the local quarry that we know quite well - but it was all new at night. You see different things and I don't just mean the different creatures; even the terrain takes on a different quality.

Our instructor also mentioned the "once your light is on, leave it on for the remainder of the dive" school of thought; the purpose being to avoid light failures and accidental flooding of twisties. I didn't address the inconsistency between that and our planned blackout where we planned to switch our lights off... :wink: I think there's value in awareness of legacy practices, and understanding where they do and don't apply to your particular situation.

As I said, night diving is my new favorite thing. Our first dive was at dusk - enter the water with a little bit of light and surface in darkness. Then our subsequent dives were 100% night. Loved every minute of it. Don't overthink it - get a backup torch and go get wet!

Our instructor also mentioned the "once your light is on, leave it on for the remainder of the dive" school of thought; the purpose being to avoid light failures and accidental flooding of twisties. I didn't address the inconsistency between that and our planned blackout where we planned to switch our lights off... :wink:

You can create your "blackout" by covering the lamp, for example by pressing it against your chest.

It gets really fun at night in low vis. The suspended stuff reflects your light back into your eyes.
The bass in the quarry didn't seem to know what the light was. I almost had to push them out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom