Night diving - what is it like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Night diving is exciting. It is also, at least for me, an honest feedback on where my skills are lacking. Definitely no ego booster but a great reality check. :wink:

Why not turn it off?

On a night dive, I'll want my light available for several reasons ... signaling my dive buddy, spot lighting to find small subjects or to peer out into the darkness (diffuse lights have very limited range). It all depends on the dive, the conditions, and whether or not I'm diving with someone else. But a focused light is useful to have.

As for the wrist sock, it's a convenient way to carry a light in some circumstances, but as someone who's tried it while carrying a large photo rig I didn't find it very practical.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back in the day, when we did our first night dive, the DM on the boat told us not to turn off the lights. If we wanted to go dark, to cover the beam. I think his rational was that most failures ( filaments, floods, etc.) happen when switching. Is this still the generally accepted wisdom

Back in the day, when we did our first night dive, the DM on the boat told us not to turn off the lights. If we wanted to go dark, to cover the beam. I think his rational was that most failures ( filaments, floods, etc.) happen when switching. Is this still the generally accepted wisdom
Have not heard this, but I would say that with filament bulbs, it may not be a bad idea since they would heat up while on, then cool quickly if turned off in the water, and then suddenly heat back up when turned back on. But with the newer L.E.D. torches, I wouldn't think that would be as much of an issue. As for leaking or flooding, that shouldn't happen under ordinary usage unless the seal on the switch is about to go anyway.

My tech instructor taught us this too. That was only about 4 yrs ago. Maybe equipment is more reliable than once upon a time, but why tempt fate? It might also be nice to know immediately if your light has died. I do test and then turn off my backups underwater; my reasoning being that the extra risk is worth knowing the light definetly still worked after getting wet.

That's what I was taught as well. I still believe it's good practice. A failed light is a stress factor, and personally, I want as few of those as possible

... only if you're diving with a lantern ... once the flame goes out it's impossible to get it re-lit underwater ... :wink:

Seriously, I think this is a problem that technology resolved years ago ... except perhaps for us dinosaurs who still dive with HID lights ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Night diving rocks! As mentioned earlier, if you are a little apprehensive, go with a larger group that agrees to stay close together. It will help calm your nerves, give you more light and allow you to enjoy your first couple night dives that much more.

... only if you're diving with a lantern ... once the flame goes out it's impossible to get it re-lit underwater ... :wink:

Seriously, I think this is a problem that technology resolved years ago ... except perhaps for us dinosaurs who still dive with HID lights ...

Not really: it's the filament that goes pop from thermal expansion, I don't believe HID lights have that.

Night diving rocks! As mentioned earlier, if you are a little apprehensive, go with a larger group that agrees to stay close together. It will help calm your nerves, give you more light and allow you to enjoy your first couple night dives that much more.

The problem with a larger group is that there are just that many more lights for people to wave around and shine in each others eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom