Night diving without certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also took the Night Dive specialty and thought it was great. My Instructor did go over proper lighting signals, rules for not shining the light in your buddy's face to communicate, and exit and entries for night diving. To the OP I would say that you have seen many responses for and against the need to take a formal specialty course in night diving to be able to do a night dive. My response would depend on the resources you have available to you. If you have experienced divers around you who can educate you on how to properly conduct a night dive, then I would say that a formal class may not be necessary. Just make sure these are people that you trust. If you do not have such people around you, I would recommend taking the class. As others have eluded to, there is a great deal to be learned from a competent Instructor.

From an educational perspective, many people here seem to think that formal education regarding many aspects of diving is unnecessary. The concern that I have for this philosophical approach is the assumption that if it is easy for one person it must be easy for all. Just because night diving is not difficult for you does not mean that it may not be challenging for someone else. While everyone does not require formal training to dive at night, others my appreciate the assistance of an experienced professional to make sure they are comfortable, educated, and competent to truly enjoy the night dive. Many have eluded here to the "spooky" factor, which for many is genuine. It is a very different experience to dive at night. What if your lights go out? What if you become lost or disoriented? Why if you experience an OOA emergency while night diving? What if someone approaches you with an OOA emergency? How can you tell your dive buddy from the 10 other divers in the water? It is nice to experience these issues under the protective eye of an Instructor. Can an educated dive buddy accomplish the same feat? Probably. For those without such a person, a formal class may be invaluable.

I completed a GREAT trip to Cozumel last month and we did two night dives. The dives were fantastic. However, the other divers on the boat demonstrated the worst night diving skills I have seen. They were lying on the coral to take pictures. They were poking the animals to get them to move to take their picture. They were standing on the bottom to get oriented. These may seem like obvious errors in diving skills to a seasoned diver, but to new divers, this may be the only way they know to dive at night without someone guiding them. While it is easy for experienced divers to assume that many aspects of diving are easy, I would ask that they see questions like the OP's from an inexperienced divers perspective. Your comments and statements carry a great deal of weight in this forum.

Last edited:
The question was asked specifically in relation to going on a night dive with a provided guide in a resort setting. Not in a "should I go off on my own and get killed" context. :) The majority of us here feel night diving is fairly benign, especially compared to deep or wreck diving.

The issues that I have with this is that a dive guide cannot replace the skills learned either in a properly taught Night Dive course or the education one receives from experienced divers who can provide a similar educational experience. There is a popular thread currently running discussing the role of a dive guide in the Accident section I believe. It is worth reading. The dive guides I have seen are just that. They provide no direction, no instruction, no education, and no true supervision. I am not sure that they should. They barely do this on a day dive. Hoping that they will do so on a night dive is next to impossible. My night dives in Cozumel last month consisted of a DM and 12 divers. They had no real idea who was competent, trained, or prepared to do a night dive. They could not even spot the divers who were lying down, physically lying down on the coral to take pictures. My suggestion to a newly certified OW diver who is going on a night dive is that they should not expect the dive guide to do any thing more that that...be a guide. Proceed with caution.

Just think about very simple scenario, blinded by the buddy accidentally lost control and cannot see the gages lost sense of depth went up out of control and shoot to the surface. Very real scenario after OW if you ask me
I hope not, after open water. Skills ought to be better than that if someone passes the class, IMHO.

Around my parts, the difference between a night dive and a day dive is often just the conditions on the surface. It's always dark down there. We always use a light.

In some ways, diving with a light in the dark can be easier than without. You have better peripheral awareness of your buddy. It's easier to get your buddies attention. It's easier to point stuff out.

You want the class? Okay, here you go:

1. Make sure you have a good light with fresh/freshly-charged batteries.
2. Don't shine the light in your buddy's eyes.
3. A circle is okay, a slow back and forth is attention, a rapid flash/wave is emergency.
4. Have an exit light source or visible reference on boat or shore.

You may Paypal me the $100.00. I'll even print up a fake card for you, which will have as much value as the ones from the agencies. :D

I also took the Night Dive specialty and thought it was great.

Good. Vacation diving is expensive. Preparation to do each dive correctly, as to get the most from it, is prudent and responsible. Some folks go down to that island and "Figure it out when they get there". Horror stories come from those types.

If you spend a little extra money on training... so what?

Last edited:
I have a night diver cert, was a fun course.

I took it as well, because night diving is my favorite diving. I did learn a couple things to say the least.

OP - I have a PADI night diver DVD that will pretty well tell you the things you need to know - I'll send it to you for just 12 bucks (shipped). If you want it, send me a PM.

I hope not, after open water. Skills ought to be better than that if someone passes the class, IMHO.

Around my parts, the difference between a night dive and a day dive is often just the conditions on the surface. It's always dark down there. We always use a light.

In some ways, diving with a light in the dark can be easier than without. You have better peripheral awareness of your buddy. It's easier to get your buddies attention. It's easier to point stuff out.

You want the class? Okay, here you go:

1. Make sure you have a good light with fresh/freshly-charged batteries.
2. Don't shine the light in your buddy's eyes.
3. A circle is okay, a slow back and forth is attention, a rapid flash/wave is emergency.
4. Have an exit light source or visible reference on boat or shore.

You may Paypal me the $100.00. I'll even print up a fake card for you, which will have as much value as the ones from the agencies. :D
Realistically a diver out of OW still has some problems to work through though, and I could see these being compounded at night.

While I won't directly answer the original poster's question about whether they should get certified, safety, etc because I honestly don't know; I don't really like the way it's being trivialized on here, especially considering most who have taken it are saying it's a valuable course. How often after an accident is "improperly trained for conditions" a factor? Of course night diving may not carry the same risks as entering a deep dave untrained, but I still don't see why courses should just get written off like that. And I simply disagree that night diving is that straightforward: it's not a massive challenge but it does have some difficulties.

I took it as well, because night diving is my favorite diving. I did learn a couple things to say the least.

OP - I have a PADI night diver DVD that will pretty well tell you the things you need to know - I'll send it to you for just 12 bucks (shipped). If you want it, send me a PM.
Haha trying to get back some of that money somehow? Sometimes PADI drives me nuts with the "required" materials. I had to pay like $50 for a DVD I didn't need or want and a thin book where half the content was already in my Advanced manual. And the nice way they require instructors to collect "originals" so people can't sell the books to each other. That part of the courses is ridiculous.

...I don't really like the way it's being trivialized on here, especially considering most who have taken it are saying it's a valuable course. How often after an accident is "improperly trained for conditions" a factor? Of course night diving may not carry the same risks as entering a deep dave untrained, but I still don't see why courses should just get written off like that. And I simply disagree that night diving is that straightforward: it's not a massive challenge but it does have some difficulties.
Well, I may agree, if we take it for granted that divers are not coming out of BOW properly trained on the basics. As to people who spend the money defending the class, this is usually the way it is with classes, gear, whatever we spend our money on. It's hard to look back and admit we were not wise.

You'll be fine.

PS - I don't know a single soul who is a "certified" night diver.

You must not have met those PADI Master SCUBA Divers.:eyebrow:

Anyway, all jests aside, the more night dives I do, the less bright lights I bring along. There's no need for cannister light or Death Star laser rays for a typical night dive. That much light washes out a lot of the good stuff.

Long ago, in a body of water far,far away, I asked my initial instructor about special training for night dives. His reply: "Bring a few lights. wait till it's dark out. Remember everything I taught you. Don't forget to bring me a lobster. This block of instruction will cost you a six pack of beer. Good beer, not that crap you drink."

Later I got a night dive class as part of an AOW package. Learned some stuff, but then, I always do, even if it's not what is meant to be taught. In the vagaries of life, it turns out I did WAY more night dives before the specialty course than after.

Do you dives, have fun, don't rush. relax.

Nomad

Anyway, all jests aside, the more night dives I do, the less bright lights I bring along. There's no need for cannister light or Death Star laser rays for a typical night dive. That much light washes out a lot of the good stuff.

A big mini sun is great for getting to and from but not really needed at the destination.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom