Nightly F Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what is "fundies"
Whoa! I'm time tripping...

What is "fundies"? Besides the link posted above, Fundies is the good 'ol days...

:D

Welcome to the board! I couldn't suggest a better first question.

Wow, it's fun to go back and read this, isn't it, Rick? It was a great class, and beyond that, I believe Rick would agree with me that it was the catalyst to an enormous transformation in our diving. Looking back three years, taking Fundies was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Great stories and happy to see that there is a good sense of humility with each of the posts. I want to think I have all the necessary gear, a fair understanding of the skills, unfortunately I need the time to take a trip to a East, West, or South coast to take the class to finally figure out I don't know S!@#.

If a specific card isn't important to you (i.e. you aren't heading for a GUE Cave or Tech class), I'm sure our own ppO2diver, who teaches in Chicago, can help lead you to that realization :)

Great stories and happy to see that there is a good sense of humility with each of the posts. I want to think I have all the necessary gear, a fair understanding of the skills, unfortunately I need the time to take a trip to a East, West, or South coast to take the class to finally figure out I don't know S!@#.

Duane (PPO2Diver), Captain Dale Bennet, Greg Such and a couple others are all very good DIR instructors in your area. None of them are GUE instructors, although Duane was thinking about it, and Greg went through the GUE instructor internship. They all put together a good Intro to Tech class that would be fairly close to a GUE-F.

Also, Ed Gabe is a Fundies instructor out of Kentucky, and will be up in Chicago at Haigh Quarry on June 6. He is putting together some classes in the Chicago area for this summer IIRC. Also, Dan McKay is out of Kingston, ON, and makes occasional trips to the midwest.

Tom

Thanks Tom & TsandM,

I've been in contact with both Duane and Ed and was planning on taking a course or two with Duane to feel out some of the requirements. I have a friend who owns a shop down in Florida who's cave 2 certified and has me on a mission to perfect my skills and go through the cave 1 course after fundies. I have to say, I'm impressed that an agency can set the bar high and not feel obligated to hand hold everyone across after the price of admission is paid. I'm looking forward to the challenges ahead and appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks again,
Dan

If you ever want to head to Mermet, or Lake Michigan, let me know.

Wow, it's fun to go back and read this, isn't it, Rick? It was a great class, and beyond that, I believe Rick would agree with me that it was the catalyst to an enormous transformation in our diving. Looking back three years, taking Fundies was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Further to the PM I sent you, reading the whole of this very usefull thread I realized that GUE Fundies is totally different to the UTD Essentials, though similar in philosophy. I found out that there is a GUE Instructor here in Greece. Any further information you can provide on going down the GUE road after the Essentials course will be greatly appreciated :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom