Nikon 10-20mm Potential

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:
I think the new Nikkor 10-20mm AF-P DX lens has potential for great UW photography. It will fit the common Ikelite Port 5503 as its diameter is small and length is appropriate. Furthermore it's min focus distance is less than 12 inches so there will be no need for a 4x close up lens.

Since its a zoom lens, I think one can set the focal length at say 15 mm and be done with it.

I value your opinions.

Hello:
I think the new Nikkor 10-20mm AF-P DX lens has potential for great UW photography. It will fit the common Ikelite Port 5503 as its diameter is small and length is appropriate. Furthermore it's min focus distance is less than 12 inches so there will be no need for a 4x close up lens.

Since its a zoom lens, I think one can set the focal length at say 15 mm and be done with it.

I value your opinions.
That size lens should work great underwater. I am a huge fan of sweeping wide angle shots underwater. It has been a long time since I shot Nikon so I am not sure if their "DX lenses" are for full frame or cropped sensor, but I don't see any problem with using this lens in theory as long as it is on the right format of camera. The one area where I would disagree (slightly) with you though is that if you are going to use this without a zoom ring, then I would zoom it all the way out to 10mm. If you end up with an image that is wider than you want, you can always crop it at home, but it you need something wider and your lens is capable of it but you miss that once in a lifetime shot then you can't make a shot wider in Photo Shop.

The one area where I would disagree (slightly) with you though is that if you are going to use this without a zoom ring, then I would zoom it all the way out to 10mm.
Actually I like your idea. I was thinking that one can be flexible with the focal length and its not critical but your idea is even better.

I just took a look at the port. At 10mm you might get some vignetting. I honestly have no idea if you will or not, but it might be worth it to try the system out in a pool first to make sure how wide you can go without getting any significant vignetting and then set your lens to that for any "real" dives.

Just be aware that quite a few rectilinear WAs struggle with poor corner sharpness underwater.

I don't know if the new 10-20 will have that problem, but I wouldn't be surprised. Dome ports project a curved virtual image, and even at pretty small apertures the lens might struggle to keep the whole image within the lens' DOF. The Panasonic 9-18 behind Nauticam's 4" semidome is prime example, but it's seen also in DX, APS-C and FX/"full format" systems. A dry diopter might help to mitigate the problem.

And this is the reason I'm taking the hassle of learning to master a fisheye for typical CFWA subjects.

I just took a look at the port. At 10mm you might get some vignetting. I honestly have no idea if you will or not, but it might be worth it to try the system out in a pool first to make sure how wide you can go without getting any significant vignetting and then set your lens to that for any "real" dives.

Actually I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps I will have to experiment as suggested. Perhaps 15mm would be work. I was ready to buy a 20mm Nikkor from KEH but then this lens came out and I decided to wait.

Just be aware that quite a few rectilinear WAs struggle with poor corner sharpness underwater.

I don't know if the new 10-20 will have that problem, but I wouldn't be surprised. Dome ports project a curved virtual image, and even at pretty small apertures the lens might struggle to keep the whole image within the lens' DOF. The Panasonic 9-18 behind Nauticam's 4" semidome is prime example, but it's seen also in DX, APS-C and FX/"full format" systems. A dry diopter might help to mitigate the problem.
Thank you

And this is the reason I'm taking the hassle of learning to master a fisheye for typical CFWA subjects.
I don't understand what you stated.

This is all for an Ikelite for D300.

Any of you have opinions on the Dry Lock system? I am tempted to get one for my Nikon D500 because I love to shoot video UW which right now i do with a gopro mounted on top of the D300 housing.

Thank you.

I don't understand what you stated.
Rectilinear WAs often struggle with the curved virtual image that every dome or semidome port projects. Fisheyes don't struggle that much, but they have other issues. Pick your poison.

And this is quite independent of sensor sizes, systems or brands. It's based in basic physics. Some brands or models have less issues, some have more, but as I said it has nothing to do with the brand name or type of system.

The Tokina 10-17 is a very nice lens. It has a very close focus of about 4". It also works nicely with a 4" dome. It also takes nice funky shots on the boat after the dive. As I recall it is a fisheye. I would give it the nod for the close focus.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.
I have a Nikkor Fisheye 10.5mm lens. How would that work UW? Will it still show fisheye?

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.
I have a Nikkor Fisheye 10.5mm lens. How would that work UW? Will it still show fisheye?

It's a fisheye, that doesn't change if you bring it underwater. That said, I shoot my Tokina 10-17mm underwater and for the most part, you can't tell it's a fisheye. There just aren't that many straight lines in the water. Maybe not the best for wrecks, but even there, I get good pics. Great lens. Friend uses the Nikon 10.5, which is also quite good. It just loses the ability to zoom (which isn't a huge issue).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom