NIkon 10-24mm zoom gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
HI Tub-
The lens is quite new and has not been tested, however, the diameter specs are 82.5 on each lens when compared to the 12-24. The 12-24 zoom gear is #31107 and is supported in the SLR system charts. The optics, image quality and port combinations would need to be field tested and can't be confirmed, but from published information looks like a 56401 Fisheye Dome may be compatible.

Sorry to disagree,

If you check the lens closely, you will find that their widest part is around their front element.
And since both use the 77mm filters, they surely would be just as wide on Nikon specs.

pic_001.jpg

10-24

pic_001.jpg

12-24

But what matter to us in the zoom ring choice is the width of the zoom barrel in the lens, and they seem a bit different to me. The 10-24 seems a bit thicker...

I think that Sea&Sea will eventually do a Zoom Ring for the 10-24mm, that's a no brainer, and will figure out which configuration is best to use with, but that take a bit of time... I think it's better to wait on this one:)

Thanks Sea&Sea
We have some major cave trips planned for August this year.
If you can keep us up to date on your testing that would be magic.

This is the lens I have dreamed about !!

Hi Sea & Sea

Any update on Zoom gear and Port configurations for this lens ?

I have a trip planned for August and I would love to have this lens with me.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

The Zoom Ring for the 12-24mm can be used for the 10-24mm.
I tried it in my MDX-D300 Housing. I will use this lens instead of the 12-24mm in future.

Greetings from the beuatiful Austria,

Harald

Thanks Harald
Great news !!
Are you using it behind the 8" Dome Port ?

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

I will use the same port as for the 12-24mm lens: The NX Fisheye Domeport (Acrylic Dome).

Best wishes,

Harald

Harald,

did you notice any image abberation in the corners when using the 10-24, if so at which focal length? The 12-24 is in the port chart and has been field tested by SEA&SEA, but they still have no data about the 10-24. I don't know if they ever will either, this is what forums are good for though :)

I own the same housing and Acrylic dome port - curious how the lens performs?

Also have you actually used the 12-24mm zoom gear on the 10-24mm lens under water? I'm asking because not all focal lengths will behave the same.

thanks,

Simon

Last edited:
Hi Simon!

I tested the 10-24mm underwater (lake and pool). It works very fine, I'm very happy with that lens.
The quality of the images (abberation, ...) is very similar to the 12, I think even a little bit better.

So I can really recommend the usage of this lens underwater instead of the 12-24mm lens.

Best wishes,

Harald

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom