Nikon just re-registered the “NIKONOS” trademark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My goodness.

I have a Nikonos V in the original box with a 35mm lens still in its box.

Maybe a possible tie-in with their new mirrorless cameras...?

Hi Trace! I love Nikonos' but unfortunately I don't shoot 35mm film anymore -- at least not professionally. I know I will again though at some point, if not just for fun.
When's the last time you shot anything with it?

Owners of lots of famous old trademarks keep re-registering them, apparently supported by some kind of nominal usage, with the thinking that they carry a lot of goodwill that might be useful someday. NIKONOS is such a wonderful coined word, evoking Nikon and the Greek islands. It's certainly possible they might want to use it again someday.

Wishful thinking aside, I wouldn't read too much into it. As mentioned by @Lorenzoid, this is not an uncommon practice. It prevents others from cashing in on the name.

Having said that, I have to admit that I get all "warm & fuzzy" every time that I read that Dodge has renewed the Trademarks on Plymouth and 'Cuda. :)

No more need for underwater hou$ing$ and len$ tube$ ?
Don’t care who makes it Nikon or some other company,but a pro quality mirrorless digital camera that can go to 30m (and beyond ?)...would be,...wonderful !!!

Back
Top Bottom