Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,I am new to scuba diving, but not to photography.

I have purchased a Nikonos v. I am trying to learn as much as possible about this camera.

As far as I know I need to replace the o-rings as it has not been used for years and I am the second owner.(Currently waiting for them in the post)

If you have any tips or tricks about this camera I am all ears. Every person I have spoken to, including dive technitions in my uni have no clue about it.

Thank you.

Aha I thought there must be some hidden ones other than the lens and body/batteries. Thank you very much, I’ll have to email as I am in the uk.

Plan to repair it myself as of price. Brought the camera for £70 and new o-ring/lubrication for £20

Aha I see now. There’s user replaceable o rings and ones which are not user replaceable. Shame, I guess in the long run I will try and learn the how to replace the internal ones. But for now I’ll send them to some else.

Attachments

• CDF6CC28-52BE-4B14-BA8A-5C3392D40DF9.jpeg
    CDF6CC28-52BE-4B14-BA8A-5C3392D40DF9.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 349
Hi Timothy -
I learned u/w with this camera. It's great - I still have mine, including multiple lenses, extension tubs, 105 strobe this book "Jim Church's Essential Guide to Nikonos Systems". Looks like it's still available through Amazon. If I still had my old copy, I would let you have it, but I must have donated/recycled it.

I wish I still had mine. Ultimately, the threads for the flash socket failed, and I fried the camera when seawater got in there. I'd check the wear on them if I were you!

It's a great camera. I love the surprise element of getting film back. I took a picture of a rock beauty in Belize not realizing the crevice it was hiding in was lined with brilliant oranges and reds that I couldn't see but the flash picked up.

I'm not sure on water clarity in Cornwall, but you might want to see if you can get a macro lens and frame as an add-on attachment. They're great for close-ups of nudibranchs and anemones.

I'm 1/2 serious - can you actually buy film for it now?
I assume it's 35mm and still available somewhere...

Everything I see on amazon.com seems to be about $20/roll.

I know you’re half joking but film photography is alive and well. I still shot medium and large format and have a darkroom. Ilford and Kodak still makes film, hell Kodak is bringing back Ektachrome. Skip Amazon, check B&H and Freestyle Photographic Supplies.

35mm is still widely available, as is medium and larger formats. I own a Nikonos V and a Nikonos RS. The RS is an amazing camera and the lenses are fantastic! I took some incredible photos of Silfra. but unfortunately I have no clue where the negatives are.

Back
Top Bottom