Nikons v

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember the Nikonos III and V days well. It was not uncommon to develop a roll of 36 exposures and find every one over or underexposed and/or out of focus. The one thing good about the camera was that when I flooded it, Cathy Church could dry it out and get it working again in a day ( and give me a lecture on being more careful )

The only things I could do consistently were wide angle natural light shots and some macro using a framer. The development of digital cameras, autofocus and TTL flash revolutionized underwater photography. It is no wonder most of the old Nikonos cameras are gathering dust in personal museums.

It is no wonder most of the old Nikonos cameras are gathering dust in personal museums.
I've got a Nikonos II that works fine, with all the framers and stuff, but there is no way I'll ever use it again!

I remember the Nikonos III and V days well. It was not uncommon to develop a roll of 36 exposures and find every one over or underexposed and/or out of focus. The one thing good about the camera was that when I flooded it, Cathy Church could dry it out and get it working again in a day ( and give me a lecture on being more careful )

The only things I could do consistently were wide angle natural light shots and some macro using a framer. The development of digital cameras, autofocus and TTL flash revolutionized underwater photography. It is no wonder most of the old Nikonos cameras are gathering dust in personal museums.

Yeah my most recent dive I mainly focused on flash positioning more then anything else.

These days you can only buy 36 exposure rolls of flim.

It does seem like the prices of nikonos components have skyrocketed recently.

upload_2020-7-10_10-38-5.jpeg
Hi, All,

I just stumbled across this interesting thread, and it brought back a slew of great Nikonos memories. I still have my III, IV, and V, along with the lenses and view finder. I loved taking photos with them.

However, after I saw a Nikon in a Subal housing, the Nikonos V became a display item in my home office. And, a further confession: we were diving Fiji, and one of our bunch had a housed digital camera that allowed him to show us his photos at dinner—whilst I had to wait 10 days before I could have my 35mm film processed.

Thus, Subal and Nikon were enriched by me once again!

Nonetheless, I still love the Nikonos V, and thought I post this photo of me diving with it.

Joe

Hi,

Cathy Church: that’s a name I’ve not heard for a long, long time! I actually met her once—diving off the Caymans.
I still have the book she wrote with Jim, her husband. It’s probably the best book ever written about Nikonos cameras

Joe

upload_2020-7-10_11-53-45.jpeg

Hi,

Cathy Church: that’s a name I’ve not heard for a long, long time! I actually met her once—diving off the Caymans.
I still have the book she wrote with Jim, her husband. It’s probably the best book ever written about Nikonos cameras

Joe

View attachment 597274

I got the book definitely helped me take better photos.

Yeah getting filmed developed is a pain. But honestly I send out my rolls and get digital uploads with in a week.

Plus something to talk about the next time you get together but aren't diving.

Here are some shots from my last roll.

018.JPG
002.JPG

Hi,

I haven’t used my Nikonos V since about 2003. But it sits proudly on a shelf above my desk. It was definitely a reliable UW camera.

One of the last photos I took with it—off Cozumel. If you got the focus and the exposure right, the photos were as good as any film SLR, in my opinion. However, the housed SLR was much easier to use!

E9B01A29-C577-4B8C-BE40-E3ADF93C31F8.jpeg

I got the book definitely helped me take better photos.

Yeah getting filmed developed is a pain. But honestly I send out my rolls and get digital uploads with in a week.

Plus something to talk about the next time you get together but aren't diving.

Here are some shots from my last roll.

View attachment 599919 View attachment 599920

Almost a year has passed, @Brewingfisherman. Have you been able to take your Nikonos V diving again? Any photos to share?

(I'm actually staring at mine right now.)

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom