Nitek Duo Thinks It's At Altitude When It Isn't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuppaMatt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As simple as the title really. I got a pair of Nitek Duos second hand, one is perfect and working fine and the second WOULD be considered perfect and working fine if not for the fact that it has the 3 mountains showing on screen indicating it thinks it's at high altitude. It calculates everything as if it were at that altitude and otherwise functions normally.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

I have tried resetting it with the reset button and by taking the battery out and re-fitting to no avail.

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like the pressure sensor is hosed. I don't see anything in the manual about resetting the altitude, so you'll have to send it in.

Sounds like the pressure sensor is hosed. I don't see anything in the manual about resetting the altitude, so you'll have to send it in.

That is if, Dive Rite even supports that computer any more. It has been out of production for quite a few years. That was one of my first technical computers about 8 yrs ago. Dive Rite is notorious for discontinuing their products & dropping them like a hot potato with no support. Don't get me wrong, I have a couple of their classic wings & some reels. The wings are no longer supported, however the reels still are. When the LED lights came on the scene, Dive Rite dumped the HID's immediately (thank goodness Light Monkey will still service them).

Reactions: Jax
You might try to reset it or change the battery, but if the problem endures, then I fear the pressure sensor is dead or dying, and the future of your computer is not a long one, maybe as a depth gauge. Sorry for the ill omen.

There are a LOT of these out there. If you want another, used, I'm sure you can find one, at a decent price.
I've had the altitude problem too. I gave it a respectful funeral. But I kept the bands and pins and face protector...

P.S. If the pressure sensor is going, which is likely, I would be hesitant tonuse it as a depth gauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom