Nitrogen Superman?? This is wild..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing about that story seems the least bit plausible to me. Gaining 50 lbs from "balloon like" sacks of N2 around the muscles that doctors don't know how to eliminate? Give me a break.

THIS (see below) is what a very serious case of DCS looks like in reality. Very different picture, don't you think?

F2.large.jpg

Believe it or not, Dr. Simon Mitchell has commented on this case in private discussion among moderators. He does not know the specifics of the case, but he believes it is plausible. It would be a rare case of extremely severe lymphatic decompression sickness. This rare form of DCS should not be considered to be a normal DCS event.

[abstract] IS "LYMPHATIC DECOMPRESSION SICKNESS" LYMPHATIC?

Perhaps, but the article certainly has some errors. Even if the gases explosively came out of solution, he wouldn't suddenly gain 50 pounds. The gas molecules are not going to gain a lot of mass when they come out of solution in his body.

Perhaps, but the article certainly has some errors. Even if the gases explosively came out of solution, he wouldn't suddenly gain 50 pounds. The gas molecules are not going to gain a lot of mass when they come out of solution in his body.
Lymphatic DCS can cause lymphatic edema, which can cause fluid retention that would account for the weight gain.

True, but he would have to be continuing to take on fluids to retain them for weight. So it wouldn't be the DCS per say causing the weight gain, but the retention of fluids over time. 50 lbs equates to a little over 5 gallons of water and that's a LOT of fluid intake.

True, but he would have to be continuing to take on fluids to retain them for weight. So it wouldn't be the DCS per say causing the weight gain, but the retention of fluids over time. 50 lbs equates to a little over 5 gallons of water and that's a LOT of fluid intake.
He had time. This article doesn't say it, but other articles explain that this took a very long time to develop. In the Rubicon article I cited in post #4, the DCS apparently caused the problem in the lymphatic system that created the long term effect. It took 5 years to develop fully.

I'm ... flabbergasted... It's not a word I use often but if Simon is saying he finds it plausible then I am, in the true sense of the word, flabbergasted!

R..

That makes more sense. The posted article said he "suddenly gained more than 50 lbs and swelled to twice his size."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom