Nitrox and Diabetes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was having a general diving discussion today with a diabetic OW certified diver. We got to talking about Nitrox, and what positives or negatives might be associated with it, for him in particular, taking into account that he has diabetes (insulin dependant and managed well). We found the "theorizing" about it really interesting, but neither one of us really has much knowledge or insight about it :idk:.
Anyone out there have any knowledge or thoughts concerning the + or - of a diabetic diver going to Nitrox?????

I am by no means an expert on diabetics or nitrox diving. I am simply an RN who works in an ER who cares for many diabetics and dives alot. There are definitely increased concerns when diving with diabetes, (decreased peripheral blood flow, neuropathy, insulin coverage ...just to name a few). However, if air presents little to no change for divers with this medical condition, I cannot see any direct issues with increasing the oxygen content of your inhaled air.

This being said, I would certainly consult DAN (they have a few publications out regarding medical conditions and scuba) and furthermore check with a doctor that has experience in dive medicine.

Just my 2 cents...

I'm diabetic and I dive Nitrox. All you have to do is keep your blood sugar from dropping while diving and usually you can do that by maintain your eating habits to make sure that you won't go into hypoglycemia while diving. And don't get too carried away with the sweets during the dives to preven hyperglycemia.

I was having a general diving discussion today with a diabetic OW certified diver. We got to talking about Nitrox, and what positives or negatives might be associated with it, for him in particular, taking into account that he has diabetes (insulin dependant and managed well). We found the "theorizing" about it really interesting, but neither one of us really has much knowledge or insight about it :idk:.
Anyone out there have any knowledge or thoughts concerning the + or - of a diabetic diver going to Nitrox?????

Nitrox is just air with a little added O2. That has nothing to do with diabetes.

However, you will find lots of diverse opinions on the appropriateness of diving with diabetes.

Ken

I am a diver with Type 2 Diabetes and I dive nitrox. If you really want to find out how to deal with diving with diabetes, talk to DAN. They have an article about diving and diabetes. They suggest that you not enter the water unless your blood sugar level is above 150. For most diabetics, that sounds high, but when you think about the risks of your blood sugar getting low enough to have a problem, then it makes sense. I keep a tube of icing in my BC pocket just in case. I have practiced cutting open the tube and eating the icing underwater. It works quite well. Just remember, while you are squirting the icing into your mouth, you are not exhaling, so do not ascend while eating the icing.

I have really nothing to add here but I hear about hyperbaric oxygen therapy for diabetic foot wounds from time to time... I wonder what effects breathing higher ppo2 might have on such injuries?

In actual fact nitrox is probably a good idea for a diabetic diver. In insulin dependent diabetics there is often microvascular disease which effects on and off gassing in an often unpredictable manner depending on the extent of disease. The vessels are injured and inflamed and their capacity to respond to changes in oxygen tension normally and during exercise are diminished. Hence the reduced nitrogen concentration in nitrox is perhaps even more important than in the otherwise healthy diver in terms of reducing the likelihood of DCS.
This is completely different from HBO therapy where patients breathe 100% oxygen for short periods of time at pressure. In terms of wound healing, it has been shown to increase activity of the immune response through white blood cell activity, encourage the development of new blood vessels, is synergistic with antibiotic therapy, and has direct toxicity against bacteria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom