Nitrox and orings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never seen them, never got asked for. One shop went anal because I didn't have the big NITROX sticker but that's it. I guess I learn something new every day =) (which makes me wonder what they do to those tanks, most likely nothing). But as scuba doc says, there is no such thing as nitrox cleaning.

I think the genuine shops do a proper O2 clean and just clean the valve.

The dodgy ones inspect the tank and often (I suspect) don't hydro but just stamp the tank and then put on a Nx sticker and then charge $40 for hydro and $35 for Nx clean. If they O2 clean they charge an additional valve clean of $35. Do they actually do the work? Most I believe do but some I know don't.

Hence why I do all my own O2 cleaning now. Also why I repair and service all my own regs after having some fall apart under water, or fail.

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 03:04 PM ----------

If I look at the cost;

Compressor $5500
Dive tech course $3000
O2 clean course $250
Tech tools $800
Blend course about $300

I think its well spent given getting my O2 reg serviced and cleaned was $320 or so and then promptly fell apart and cost me another $100 to repair. Annual service on Recreational regs is in the order of $165x2=$330. Annual servicing of tech regs is about $160 or so x 2 = $320. Deco regs $80 x 6= $480, Tank cleaning costs are $70/tank x 8= $560/year. I can also do fills when I need to at any mix. No driving for 45 min to get a fill and then have to come back another day because they are busy.

Ah well, my bad, it seems a buddy of mine has seen those stickers... either way, nitrox cleaning is a rip off.

Ah well, my bad, it seems a buddy of mine has seen those stickers... either way, nitrox cleaning is a rip off.

Its a ripoff if they use a membrane machine or fill from premixed cylinders as perfectly clean cylinders are not required, however if they do partial pressure its essential the cylinders are cleaned (and the valves) for the fillers safety. I wouldn't fill an unclean cylinder simply to ensure my own safety. In saying that I personally think it should be air cylinder or O2 clean. In that way its simple and easy.

Ken, the Hog regulators are known to spit out O-rings, also tend to be one of the only ones with an abundance of them at the dive sites. I give out the nitriles, hold onto the vitons. Last order I made from Amazon was $0.05/$0.25 so for $5 I got 100 nitriles, and another $5 for 20 vitons. Like I said, I only use the vitons on rebuild if the kit comes with them, and on my O2 reg, so it works for me...

I have more than 10 HOG regs and have never yet had to replace anything except during routine service (except the time my D2s blew up because there was a misunderstanding about whether the thrust ring was necessary). As for buying o-rings, I suggest you check either oringsusa.com or theoringstore.com. Both great sources. Some of the RB o-rings I need are not available in viton, but they are low pressure anyway. I have no problem with nitrile for low pressure use. But anything on the HP side gets Viton 90.

Ken, my D1's and D2's *have 5 of them currently* spit out their DIN O-rings pretty regularly either in the tank valve or they will stay in the caps if they decided the caps were more sticky than the chrome. Maybe once every 10 or so dives, if they're in the tank or the cap I just reuse them, but if they hit the ground they get replaced.

I'm set on O-rings for the next few years with the bulk order I made from Amazon, but I'll check those sources out as well. I needed a few of them pretty quickly so primed them.

The only thing I have that does what you're saying and spits out the o-ring regularly is the flow adapter for my analyzer. It is a pain in the butt. I had a Dive Rite reg that used to do it once in a while. But none of my Apeks, HOG or Scubapro regs ever had that problem. Maybe you got a batch of o-rings that are a micron or 2 off. Beats me.

Ken, my D1's and D2's *have 5 of them currently* spit out their DIN O-rings pretty regularly either in the tank valve or they will stay in the caps if they decided the caps were more sticky than the chrome. Maybe once every 10 or so dives, if they're in the tank or the cap I just reuse them, but if they hit the ground they get replaced.

Such frequent extrusion is either because the O-Ring is too soft or undersized. Check size and use harder O-Rings. Duro at least 80 Shore

Such frequent extrusion is either because the O-Ring is too soft or undersized. Check size and use harder O-Rings. Duro at least 80 Shore

those were the o-rings that came with the regulators btw. It was a machining error that hasn't been corrected yet. Deep6 noticed the error on their regs and swapped out the retainers. HOG hasn't

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom