NITROX CERTIFICATION PROTOCOLS - REAL WORLD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all

For me, there is no alternative to checking everything myself. In the current Wetnotes (German Tech Diver Magazine) there is an interesting article about fatal diving accidents caused by too high pO2.

In this article Dr Frank Hartig and Andreas Pacher describe an actual diving accident and procedures how to reduce the risk.

Very interesting I find the point gas exchange protocol in technical diving. They have on purpouse changed to the wrong gas on various dives with various partners (O2 at 21m where you should change on EAN50). Over 90% of the buddies have confirmed the correct gas with the OK sign.

That's why I don't "trust" anyone above and below water and I find the setting and practicing of the buddy check critical. The responsibility lies with each diver himself and one is only a good diver if every error is already identified before the buddy check. Unfortunately, I see too many divers where I still see (sometimes bad) errors in the buddy check.

Greetings from Switzerland
Pareto

I knew the other divers in the group were using NITROX because their tanks had GREEN nitox labels, and we discussed at great length, the immense value of diving with NITROX...All these guys were dMasters and instructors...One guy had over 1,000 dives. Being a newbie, I couldn't have been placed with a more wonderful group...But again, They never analyzed anything...BUT...I get it. Great advice from everyone...TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY OWN DIVE. Thanks to all...

OP only mentions that "Instructors and DMs" were using nitrox that he did not see tested. At my LDS the "instructors and DMs" are the ones that load, and gauge, and EANx test the tanks before they get loaded on the boat for the day. In other words, they may have tested them before OP even arrived.

OP only mentions that "Instructors and DMs" were using nitrox that he did not see tested. At my LDS the "instructors and DMs" are the ones that load, and gauge, and EANx test the tanks before they get loaded on the boat for the day. In other words, they may have tested them before OP even arrived.
Believe me, at least in Cozumel, there are dive operators that are not testing the nitrox tanks before they are breathed. If you want to test them without fail, choose an operator that has an analyzer on the boat or bring your own. I have not had the best of luck with boat analyzers.

The dive centers where I dive make sure of three things, that the diver has tested the mix and written that in the dive shops log book and also put on a label with the mix on the tank. Then they make sure your DC is setup for the correct setting.
Only then can the divers tanks be put on the boat or if local shore dive be set aside with BCD and kit on. The DM's will check your DC before the start of the dive if using nitrox.

My technical instructor told me an interesting story.

He was on a dive boat for a week, all divers measured the nitrox the first 1-2 days and everything was ok, through this safety almost no one measured anymore (shallow dives, no deco).

However, my instructor measured each tank himself with his own meter. Between two dives something went wrong and during his measurement the tank showed 21%. He contacted the crew, but they said that this could not be, the compressor has just been revised. They have measured various bottles and found that all have displayed 21%.

Greetings Pareto

Believe me, at least in Cozumel, there are dive operators that are not testing the nitrox tanks before they are breathed. If you want to test them without fail, choose an operator that has an analyzer on the boat or bring your own. I have not had the best of luck with boat analyzers.

Yes, of course, but the OP was not talking about his own tank or any other regular customer. He mentions "instructors and DMs" specifically. If they were all employees of the shop then they likely were loading the tanks before the dives.

Whenever I see threads in which people mention seeing nobody test, I wonder where they are diving. I have been nitrox certified for 20 years, and I have dived all over the world. I can't recall ever being in a situation where I did not test my tanks.

HOWEVER

On MOST occasions, the testing would not have been visible to another diver because it was done before I got to the dive site or boat. A casual onlooker would assume I was not testing.

As a point of clarification, I am talking about situations where there is not a lot of time between the testing and diving. If time has passed, I will assume the potential for error and retest; however, that retesting will likely be done out of sight of an onlooker as well.

I too analyze every tank I ever use, even air tanks. I've had "air" tanks that turned out to have a light nitrox mix. It wouldn't have been an issue given my intended use BUT it's important to know. I label air tanks as 21% consistent with how I label my nitrox tanks. I've been doing that ever since I was nitrox certified 15 years ago. The boats I use here in SE FL, which is a tourist heavy spot, require you to test any tanks you rent from them. Every nitrox diver should invest in their own analyzer. Just my opinion. I know many do not. By not owning your own analyzer you put yourself in a situation where you may have to decide between trusting the fill operator vs skipping a dive. Not a good situation to be in.

As @boulderjohn mentioned, it would be easy for someone on the boat to assume I've not analyzed my tanks. That is because I dive my own tanks and I test and label them at home or at the local dive shop where I get them filled. Something to keep in mind. That wouldn't apply to destinations like Cozumel typically but it would apply to many locations in the states where it is common for divers to bring their own tanks.

One thing I don't do is add a MOD, Date and Tester. I know the MODs in my head for the mixes I dive plus my computer handles that, I'm always the tester and the date is irrelevant to me.

Back
Top Bottom