Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cobra852

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been considering getting Nitrox Certified. I know PADI and NAUI require 2 dives to get the Cert.. I recently found a class at an SSI shop that doesn't require dives.

My question is: How important are the instructor lead Nitrox Certification dives?

I'm sure the classroom material is almost the same just a different name on the tables. So given proper training do I really need the added expense of an instructor lead dive to get the Cert.?

Thanks

Cobra852:
I've been considering getting Nitrox Certified. I know PADI and NAUI require 2 dives to get the Cert.. I recently found a class at an SSI shop that doesn't require dives.

My question is: How important are the instructor lead Nitrox Certification dives?

I'm sure the classroom material is almost the same just a different name on the tables. So given proper training do I really need the added expense of an instructor lead dive to get the Cert.?

Thanks

I added the Nitrox Certification for $95 onto my AOW. I did PADI as that is what my DS offers. The course materials were $50.

I am not sure what the cost of Nitrox is with other agencies. I personally feel that the dive planning with Nitrox, and working the tables in a real world application is valuable. Then again, if I could have done the Certification via a class for a cost of $75 with the materials maybe I would have gone that route.

Even $95 seems a bit steep for one night in class as my dives are already basically paid for with the AOW class.

Cobra852:

Thanks

,,,,,,,,,you breathe Nitrox just like you do any gas (air). The safety measures, how to test, how to work the tables are important. Diving Nitrox, -----just breathe as always.

Give yourself abreak and go with the SSI.

Best Regards,

Dave

As mentioned, you breathe the gas just like you would air. TDI also offers the dive-less certification. If you ask me, unless you are diving something that you would like to dive anyway, you are wasting your time because the only difference in nitrox diving is the planning and limits. Both things that are determined on the surface.

I just did the PADI Nitrox course last week while on vacation. The only benefit in doing the dives is in the practice you get using the oxygen meter, which certainly can be done in the classroom. Of course, it is an excuse to dive...

Read the book, understand, take the test. That's all you need, especially if you are already diving with a computer.

The dives usually are not instructor lead anyway. You get your fill, analyze it, calculate MOD, END PPO2 and then dive. Come back and do it again. Get your card.

Cobra852:

Thanks

Mmm...yah, well...

Tables are tables, though SSI uses modified US Navy tables, whereas PADI uses its own RDP, but the physics and the math are the same.

Basically, the difference is that with two instructor-led dives, your instructor should have you check the mix and have you calculate the MOD before the dive and should have you track oxygen exposure after the dive.

But basic Nitrox is basic Nitrox. There are no agency-specific laws of physics, that much is true.

Besides, SSI allows certification without supervised dives, it doesn't recommend it.

PADI may be going the route of dry NItrox certs in the next year or two, but never hold your breath.

I would add a few provisions to your dry Nitrox Cert - -

1. Promise me you are diving with a computer you own, know how use, know how to program for Nitrox, and you understand its various alarms at depth. Merely strapping something on your wrist does not cut it.

2. Never screw with the 1.4ata limits on po2. Never. Enough said.

2. Make sure in your class they show you how to use a o2 analyzer, and that you could use it unassisted. If you own your own o2 analzyer your get a gold star on whatever c-card they issue you (please know how to use this as well).

3. Make sure when you pick up your Nitrox tank that you can comfortably compute the max and contingency depths for the blend, write it on the tank.

4. Have a buddy that understands what o2 toxicity looks like at depth, preferebly someone with Nitrox training, or similar training to your own.

kevink:
I would add a few provisions to your dry Nitrox Cert - -

1. Promise me you are diving with a computer you own, know how use, know how to program for Nitrox, and you understand its various alarms at depth.
What's wrong with diving the tables??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom