Nitrox course. What's the point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. I met my instructor this morning to discuss my February diving plan. For the context, I started diving on Nov 3rd, got OW certified in late nov then AOW in late december. 48 dives so far all in the ocean. Took Perfect Buoyancy, React Right, Science of Diving and Deep Diving courses. For the next month, I wanted to do Stress & Rescue and Nitrox courses but then I realized that the Nitrox course is theory only. And when I looked in details, I could not find the added value compared to the Science of Diving Course. If this is only about learning Nitrogen Narcosis, Oxygen toxicity, Partial Pressures, Diving tables, Oxygen service, Oxygen clean, equipment compatibility concepts that are already taught in Science of Diving or that can easily be learnt reading (SB among others), what's the point?

Hello. I met my instructor this morning to discuss my February diving plan. For the context, I started diving on Nov 3rd, got OW certified in late nov then AOW in late december. 48 dives so far all in the ocean. Took Perfect Buoyancy, React Right, Science of Diving and Deep Diving courses. For the next month, I wanted to do Stress & Rescue and Nitrox courses but then I realized that the Nitrox course is theory only. And when I looked in details, I could not find the added value compared to the Science of Diving Course. If this is only about learning Nitrogen Narcosis, Oxygen toxicity, Partial Pressures, Diving tables, Oxygen service, Oxygen clean, equipment compatibility concepts that are already taught in Science of Diving or that can easily be learnt reading (SB among others), what's the point?
About $150.

Most folks won’t be doing that science of diving class. That’s SSI only.

Seems many divers take it just after OW or AOW. It’s a good winter/off season class. There’s really no reason to do dives with it, either. Aside from the theory, you have to know how to set you computer for nitrox, get it into your head watching MOD is critical, and analyzing tanks. That’s it.

Dakota's triangle?

(Love auto-correct - should be "Dalton's)

My first course after OW was nitrox, 2002. Biggest advance in rec diving, perhaps ever.

i am confused a bit by your post. are you asking what is the point of taking a nitrox class when you are already taking the science of diving ? or am missing something ?

science of diving is a great knowledge based course, but most would only take this if they want to progress through the ssi system to the pro level.

the nitrox course gives you the knowledge / ability to dive using O2 rich gases up to 40%.

the two courses have nothing to do with one another.

Most folks won’t be doing that science of diving class. That’s SSI only.

Seems many divers take it just after OW or AOW. It’s a good winter/off season class. There’s really no reason to do dives with it, either. Aside from the theory, you have to know how to set you computer for nitrox, get it into your head watching MOD is critical, and analyzing tanks. That’s it.
Right. The only additional thing that I identified was Tank analysis. Watching MOD is also taught in SSI Deep Diving and setting the computer for nitrox should not require a dedicated course, should it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom