Nitrox course. What's the point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can check "Deco for Divers" by Mark Powell.
When I did the Science of Diving free specialty back in April, the explanation regarding decompression theories was so short that I did not understand anything. The book I mentioned helped a lot.
I did Science of Diving too. Only I was toi late for having it free. And right, it was very short. I understood that if you exceed NDL, your computer will have some deco stops for your ascent and providing that you have enough gas, you will just be fine. I also (wrongly) assumed that for very limited NDL exceeding, we were talking about 10/ 15 minutes max additional deco stops at shallow depth. Even though you guys killed me with your science, it gives me new perspective. In some years, I might be like you :).

There is no pressing need to fully understand something in order to benefit from its use.
I love learning.

I meant the period of time when your club wasn't to use Nitrox for rec dives.

I think the conference was a early to mid 90's. BSAC approved Nitrox for use towards the end of the 90's. I think my basic 'Nitrox Instructor' ticket is dated sometime around 1998.

One of the issues was that although the BSAC didn't approve Nitrox for use, a lot of the more experienced divers, and senior members of the BSAC where using it.
It was so bad in the early days that some skippers often wouldn't let you on board with Nitrox. So, all the modern procedures for marking cylinders where often not done, cylinders where often disguised as air.

Agree. I am already over my head in this thread now. To fully understand it, I would need to learn the science of deco. I guess that this is next in my training plan.

You see all you smarty pants that had to elevate this too far.

Dody, do yourself a favor, just stick to the info that you received in the first couple of pages.

This thread should have been split off ages ago.

Dody, later on after you have had your nitrox course (EAN) and done a mess of other dives, read Powell's book as has been recommended. Then come back and read this thread. :):wink:

I think the conference was a early to mid 90's. BSAC approved Nitrox for use towards the end of the 90's. I think my basic 'Nitrox Instructor' ticket is dated sometime around 1998.

One of the issues was that although the BSAC didn't approve Nitrox for use, a lot of the more experienced divers, and senior members of the BSAC where using it.
It was so bad in the early days that some skippers often wouldn't let you on board with Nitrox. So, all the modern procedures for marking cylinders where often not done, cylinders where often disguised as air.

Oh yes, witches brew, lol

There is no pressing need to fully understand something in order to benefit from its use.
Yes, but Nitrox is a good example of how understanding it can prevent problems from its misuse.

Yes, but Nitrox is a good example of how understanding it can prevent problems from its misuse.
There’s quite a difference between basic PADI nitrox certification level understanding to full on tech and beyond understanding.

There’s quite a difference between basic PADI nitrox certification level understanding to full on tech and beyond understanding.

Apparently not, according to some contributors to this thread, lol.

I also (wrongly) assumed that for very limited NDL exceeding, we were talking about 10/ 15 minutes max additional deco stops at shallow depth.

Depending on what you mean with "shallow", I bet this is what would happen in practice most of the time (in the recreational realm, at no more than 30m). But yes, the science behind is rather complex...

Wasn’t really all that different in the US. I was first certified in 1990 by a PADI shop. The instructor was definitely not a fan of EAN (or computers) for recreational divers. Not sure if that was PADI’s stance at the time, or just the instructor’s.

Contrast that to today where EAN is often offered at a discount when doing OW.

Curious what is meant by modern procedures for marking. All my tanks are usually filled with EAN. None have the big yellow and green stickers, which are useless anyway. The only indications that they might not contain air is the O2 clean box being punched on the VIP sticker, and a little piece of masking tape with the mix %.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom