Nitrox Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Im definately not doing the PADI advanced course because it doesnt seem to qualify you for anything. The SSI structure seems better because its AOW recognises specialities.

You can't compare the PADI AOW course with the SSI AOW course. Same name, totally different courses.

The PADI AOW is the equivalent of the SSI Advanced Adventurer course. 5 'themed' dives, inc deep & nav, that represent a 'sample' of the associated speciality courses.

The SSI AOW course is an approximate equivlant to the PADI Master Scuba Diver certification. The PADI MSD requires 5 full speciality courses, plus Rescue Diver and 50 logged dives (as such, it requires more than the SSI equivalent).

The recommended maximum depth for the PADI AOW/SSI Advanced Adventurer is 30m. There isn't a recommended max depth for the PADI MSD/SSI AOW courses. You need to complete a Deep Diver course to extend your recommended max depth below 30m/100ft (to an absolute maximum of 40m/130ft). Deeper than 40m/130ft is 'technical diving' only - for either agency.

I don't log dives because my computer does it for me.

Be warned that some instructors may not accept this as verified logged dives, for the purpose of course prerequisites/certification. Anyone could have dived with the computer and completed those dives.

Anyway its just that a lot of agencies say they wont take you on certain dives unless you have done the Advanced course regardless of your experience.

That's quite untrue, although it may seem that way at the lower end of the experience spectrum. Firstly, the agencies (SSI, PADI etc) have no interest in the depth limits set by dive operations/charters. Their recommendations are made only for the benefit of newly certified divers. However, many insurance companies do pay attention to the 'Safe Diving Practices', which (amongst other things) state that divers should only dive within the limits of their training and experience.

Some insurance companies may interpret this as 'if you dive below the maximum prudent depth recommended by your agency, then we won't pay your claim, if you have an accident'.

Dive companies are also fearful of any potential litigation, regards duty of care liability, for taking divers beyond the thresholds dictated by Safe Diving Practices (and hence, agency recommended depth limits). Such limits are decided by the owners/managers of the individual diving business. Likewise, exceptions to those rules are also decided by the individual business owner/manager. It is actually most common that a dive professional will assess you using a combination of factors - you log book, your cert card, some questions they ask you...and how you perform setting up your kit and on prior dives.

As a dive professional myself, I recognise the value of not taking divers beyond their limits for no good reason. At worst this can lead to increased risk to the diver or myself. At best it can lead to the diver concerned suffering unnecessary apprehension or unease, which can spoil their diving experience.

Just seems like a way to get people to pay for another course that really isn't necessary. If they want people to be competent at certain depths they should be telling them to do the deep speciality rather than the advanced.

It's a progressive step, allowing experience to be acculmulated before major leaps in depth are attempted. That is a wise thing.

Just bear in mind.... it's not the piece of plastic that counts... its whether you - the diver - have the skills, knowledge, mindset and capability to safely engage in the diving activity. THAT should be your focus, when selecting your courses and deciding your personal limitations as a diver. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom