Nitrox de-compression slates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmmike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anybody know where to get a set of Nx32 and Nx36 slates that contian de-compression times on them. I would like them to be similar to is found in the appendix of the NOAA Diving Book. As always thanks for the help.

dmmike:
Does anybody know where to get a set of Nx32 and Nx36 slates that contian de-compression times on them. I would like them to be similar to is found in the appendix of the NOAA Diving Book. As always thanks for the help.

You can just use the air ones with EAD can't you? I can't think of a reason why this suddenly wouldn't work any more when you go over the NDL.

Seems to me that you can also cut your own tables with GAP. There might be other programs that work for that too.

R..

dmmike:
I find slates big enough to read underwater to be very awkward to carry. Another alternative is to print out the tables on waterproof paper (www.riteintherain) or printed onto regular paper then laminated. An even better solution is to extract and print just that portion of the table that you might need underwater --- the NDL and deco sections. Figuring out residual nitrogen groups, SI credit, etc is best done between dives.

PDF files of the NOAA EAN32 and 36 tables can be found at http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/dp_forms.html . These tables have 10' deco stop times for dives out to 60 min @ 110' (EAN32, 1.4ppO2) and 80 @ 90' (EAN36, 1.35ppO2).

I find the easiest way to handle this is to print the tables you want with any deco program you wish to use and laminate them. You can print them in any font you wish and put them in a pocket to take with you. I personally use VPlanner which allows me you use any gas mix and then I can import them into Excel to make my tables.

DSAO

dmmike:

I have a set from IANTD as well. Soft, foldable....got them at Ginnie Springs. They'll mail order them to you if you can't find them locally.

I personally believe in preparing your own deco tables based upon the parameters of the dive ... which I do. I agree with all the responses that laminating tables and then taking them with you is a great way to do this. I put several contingencies on a single table (using a spread sheet design), laminate it and then tape it very well to a slate I carry on my forearm (my partner just writes his profile on his slate). This slate can be easily made by getting a large diameter white PVC pipe and then cutting it to a proper length for your forearm and then cutting it down the middle. This should fit neatly over your forearm. Now just drill some holes in it and attach some shock cord to it to hold it onto your arm. Presto ... instant slate and and holder for a laminated table.

I'll put the contingency deco plan on a piece of vinyl tape and stick it to the top of my fin. If I want redundancy, I'll stick a the plan on each fin. It's there if I need it and contributes to the elimination of much of the technical looking but largely uneeded crap that I see on a lot of divers who are theoretically devoted to streamlining.

www.iantd.com

There tables or slates or whatever you would like to call them are waterproof and fold up real small, I fold mine up and put them in my wetnotes which I then put in my drysuite pocket, I have been on a lot of dives where the profile changed underwater, no room here to cut new custom tables, so you can pull out your handy deco table and calculate a new schedule-
I dont practice breaking my profiles but it does happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom