Nitrox diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only study I know of didn't show any difference, but there are an awful lot of us who are convinced of the placebo effect :)

The only study I know of didn't show any difference, but there are an awful lot of us who are convinced of the placebo effect :)

It doesn't have to be a placebo effect. That study was very poorly done in terms of scientific process. It was the equivalent (with some exaggeration) of testing whether getting more sleep was beneficial by giving a couple of people 8 hours of sleep and another couple people 7.5 hours of sleep and then asking them how they felt to see if there was a difference.

Just to correct one statement -- there ARE studies that show that people breathing elevated levels of oxygen will tolerate slightly higher CO2 levels before showing increased respiratory drive. It's not known how or why that works. For a diver, it's not a good thing.

Don't smokers also have a higher tolerance for CO2 and CO than non-smokers. I remember this being discussed in my Adv. Nitrox / deco class.

It is true for me and my husband in regards to feeling noticeably more energetic/less tired after diving when using Nitrox. We've been diving Nitrox for several years and occasionally will use just Air and we always notice the difference after diving. I prefer Nitrox except for the fact that it is more expensive....small price to pay for more energy for the rest of the day.

It is true for me and my husband in regards to feeling noticeably more energetic/less tired after diving when using Nitrox. We've been diving Nitrox for several years and occasionally will use just Air and we always notice the difference after diving. I prefer Nitrox except for the fact that it is more expensive....small price to pay for more energy for the rest of the day.

I bet if you dive on air, but extend your safety stop to 5-6 minutes (or longer) and then surface taking at least a full minute to get from 15 ft to the surface, you'll feel the same increase in energy. The fatigue after diving is probably related to N2 loading at the surface. Using nitrox on an otherwise identical profile to air will certainly lower N2 levels after the dive, but you can do a similar thing simply by off-gassing more thoroughly before surfacing on air. Give it a try.

Totally agree with the above post. Long time ago I always felt better after diving nitrox . Then I started doing slower ascents with LOOOOOONG safety stops and the difference disappeared.

Thanks for the suggestion in regards to longer safety stop and ascent from 15 feet. I'll give this a try!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom