Nitrox on The Go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have read on here that some people hang a nitrox stick from a tree while traveling / diving remote destinations. What's your setup look like? How do you travel with an O2 bottle? Do you take a large bottle or maybe boost into a smaller bottle?

I'm toying with the idea of setting up a small trailer for diving. It would be nice to be able to mix "on the go". Just curious to see what other people do. I don't have a problem taking a full tank of O2, although that would be way overkill for what I'm doing. But I don't have booster so I'm sort of stuck.

I have a small portable compressor and a stick, I just haven't seen anything setup in a trailer / truck for eanx in person. Just brainstorming / getting some ideas before making any moves.

Thanks.

just pretend the trailer wall is your basement/garage wall and mount it that way.
Since your Rix is diesel, remote route the exhaust, and I'd probably remote both of the intakes for the compressor and the motor because it will make the inside of the trailer much quieter and since the yanmar is going to create a good bit of heat, you can get "cold air intake" by sucking fresh air in from the top of the trailer

@Bobby 's setup is basically identical to what you'd see in a dive shop with an electric compressor.

just pretend the trailer wall is your basement/garage wall and mount it that way.
Since your Rix is diesel, remote route the exhaust, and I'd probably remote both of the intakes for the compressor and the motor because it will make the inside of the trailer much quieter and since the yanmar is going to create a good bit of heat, you can get "cold air intake" by sucking fresh air in from the top of the trailer

@Bobby 's setup is basically identical to what you'd see in a dive shop with an electric compressor.

So just take a full 244cf bottle of O2?

So just take a full 244cf bottle of O2?
Smaller is a heck of a lot easier to move around. 2x 150s or 2x 125s - assuming you really need to make 1700cf of 32% on your trip at all.

Smaller is a heck of a lot easier to move around. 2x 150s or 2x 125s - assuming you really need to make 1700cf of 32% on your trip at all.

I don't need to use 1700cf, I just wondered what other people did when they went on the road, especially those without a booster. Trying to use what I have on hand is all.

Thanks.

I take a gas compressor, a trimix stick, two bottles of helium, two bottles of oxygen, a 4500 air tank, a 4500 mix tank, and a 15/40 booster when I travel.
I might not be the normal.

I take a gas compressor, a trimix stick, two bottles of helium, two bottles of oxygen, a 4500 air tank, a 4500 mix tank, and a 15/40 booster when I travel.
I might not be the normal.

Any pictures of your trailer you'd be willing to share? Or pm...

Why not partial pressure blending
Make a nice chart then its easy.
But if you have a rix then it's easy too.

Why not partial pressure blending
Make a nice chart then its easy.
But if you have a rix then it's easy too.

So far I've been PP blending just because I've been too lazy to finish my stick and it's easy at the shop. Idk, I might bank some eanx for when needed and just haul around 1 or 2 cascade tanks.

Just trying to gauge what other people do. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel if someone out there has already done it.

Back
Top Bottom