Nitrox online - is there a standard fee for the dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VikingDives

Mostly Harmless
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My all the LDS's are charging an arm and a leg for nitrox certification ($235). If I sign up for the SDI course online ($129.95) is that going to be cheaper if I go to my LDS and just do the in-person portion? Is there any way of knowing without calling (because, well, it's Sunday, and they are closed).

My all the LDS's are charging an arm and a leg for nitrox certification ($235). If I sign up for the SDI course online ($129.95) is that going to be cheaper if I go to my LDS and just do the in-person portion? Is there any way of knowing without calling (because, well, it's Sunday, and they are closed).

Mine charges $250. I suspect it's going to be the same cost regardless. You'll just pay SDI directly for the online portion and I bet your LDS will charge you a fee that will make up the difference, instead of going through LDS and getting a code for the online portion.

I don't understand...you want to take the SDI online nitrox course then go to an SSI shop to do the practical portion? AFAIK, you need to do the SSI online training to get an SSI cert.

Yikes. PADI Nitrox was 99 euros here, classwork only (and measuring O2 content in the tank). No dives required per se. I'm not sure whether you can just do the PADI EAN course if you don't have a PADI OW/AOW cert...

Yikes. PADI Nitrox was 99 euros here, classwork only (and measuring O2 content in the tank). No dives required per se. I'm not sure whether you can just do the PADI EAN course if you don't have a PADI OW/AOW cert...
You can.

I suggest you seek out a private instructor. I needed to get certification for myself, my wife and two friends a few months back. Lined it all up over the phone, got very good service and instruction. Practical demonstration happened right in my garage.

..And for a lot less than $250.

Three LDS charging $245, $169, $150, so it pays to shop around. But the LDS working with On line study actually costs the $245 amount.

Back
Top Bottom