"Nitrox Ready" Regulator Data Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a new SP G250 over two years ago and it was delivered with Christolube, standard. I didn't know what that white stuff was that was showing through the ventilation ports, until I wicked out a bit with a toothpick. It is standard on their regs. I suspect it is becoming more common.

My Question (a cut and paste from MikeFerrara's and Roaky's posts):
. . . you mentioned that all Genesis regs are lubed with ChristoLube 111. Does this mean that Genesis regs are “ready for oxygen service,” meaning that the regs are both O2 clean and use O2 compatible components. Or, another way to ask the question might be “Does Genesis sanction the use of their regs with over 40% O2?” Finally, what material are the o-rings?

Genesis Rep's reply:
Stone:
No, I am sorry. Genesis Regs are not O2 clean from the factory. As some agencys use the 40% rule, we use ChristoLube to increase safety.

On Yukon use PK300N Viton kit $8.50
On GS2000 use PK400N Viton kit $12.00
The Oz reg uses Viton and ChristoLube and is designed for up to 40% O2

On older 1st stages we use EPDM o2 compatible orings in the PK100 kit $4.00

Looks like Viton o-rings are the only thing needed for Genesis to call their regs O2 clean.

Viton is good if not absolutely necessary, but do it for peace of mind, and it's fun (Yippee, I converted my own reg). If your first stage is a piston I suggest you get the factory O ring kit. One never knows if the aftermarket vitons have the right durometer rating for particular apps.

Please note that an oxygen service rating is a very ephemeral thing. Having oxygen clean and compatible parts is required, and those parts must not come in contact with air or any other gas that is not certified oxygen compatible. If you take your freshly serviced and certified oxygen service rated regulator and use it on a tank of regular scuba air [regular scuba air needn't be oxygen compatible] you've just blown the oxygen service rating, and the reg must be re-cleaned and certified before use with mixes over 40%.
If a shop is partial pressure mixing (and doing it right) then their Nitrox will of necessity be oxygen compatible, but a premix ain't necessarily...
Bottom line - oxygen isn't to be triffled with, and oxygen service ratings are not easy to maintain.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom