Nitrox!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, studies have shown there is no reduction of DCS for people using Nitrox compared to air within recreational limits. If you want a bona fıde way to buıld a safety factor in to scuba, don`t dive.

I would like to see that study. I think the key is to evaluate how it is/was being used. If was being used to extend bottom time, then that is perfectly understandable (extended bottom time = additional nitrogen loading = comparable risk). If it was being used with bottom times based around air, then I have a hard time believing it because of the reduced nitrogen loading.

If what you say is true, and DCS is just as prominent with EANx while using the air bottom times then there is no inherent value with EANx and a lot of people are wasting their money on both certs and nitrox fills.

Rather than getting into this debate, let me sum up the answer to your question

NITROX = GOOD

Take the course. You will not regret it in the end.

lol what masterof0 said I dont feel like typing out the same exact answer that he gave.

If what you say is true, and DCS is just as prominent with EANx while using the air bottom times then there is no inherent value with EANx and a lot of people are wasting their money on both certs and nitrox fills.

Believe I mentioned that. The benefit of EAN is to extend RDP bottom times. The safer tagline is used by some instructors to sell courses and by ill-advised divers. Only one case I know of that was a good reason for using EAN other than extended bottom times. I had a student who had an illness that caused a disproportional drop in his oxygen levels with exercise (can`t remember the name of the illness) and managed average dive times when he swapped to EAN. If you`re using EAN as "it`s safer" you are indeed wasting money on fills. Personally no EAN student of mine (except the aforementioned guest) has ever been sold an EAN course with me because "it`s safer".

ok, first off....EVERY dive is a decompression dive even in recreational limits.....think about it. If you didnt need to deco aka OFF GAS there would be no limits to your accent rate period. But funny how we all use the standard accent of slower than 60 fpm. EANx just means you'll have less to of gas on your accent. plain and simple for recreational limits............

the "is nitrox safer" issue aside, nitrox is just better, than air for recreational limits.

I think as long as you plan your dive correctly nitrox is definately safer than air. Nitrox allows you to reduce your nitrogen intake, and it signifficantly extends your bottom time which is especially important for spearfishing, plus you dont feel tired after the diving.

Studies have shown there is no reduction in the numbers of DCS when diving on Nıtrox compared to air. The safer tagline is usually given by instructors selling nitrox courses, and ill advised divers.

Is it possible that while incidences of Type I though IV DCS are equally unlikely with and without Nitrox on "recreational" dives, incidences of sub-clinical DCS are reduced through the use of Nitrox? This could explain why divers report feeling "less tired" after diving Nitrox. Of course, the Placebo Effect can explain the same thing :)

Conversely, there are objective risks associated with Oxygen Toxicity and additional procedures to follow that could lead to operator error (subjective risks). Is the reward real? And if so is it worth the risk?

Is it possible that while incidences of Type I though IV DCS are equally unlikely with and without Nitrox on "recreational" dives, the incidences of sub-clinical DCS are reduced through the use of Nitrox? This could explain why divers report feeling "less tired" after diving Nitrox. Of course, the Placebo Effect can explain the same thing :)

Have there been actual double-blind studies about this? They would be interesting to see.

I feel just as exhilirated after a dive with air as I do after a dive on nitrox so I have always wrote that off as placebo effect.

Is it possible that while incidences of Type I though IV DCS are equally unlikely with and without Nitrox on "recreational" dives, the incidences of sub-clinical DCS are reduced through the use of Nitrox? This could explain why divers report feeling "less tired" after diving Nitrox. Of course, the Placebo Effect can explain the same thing :)

Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom