Nitrox!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, the level of nitrogen is not a factor, it`s the pressure differential hence the figure arrived at for ascent rates.

your kidding right? nitrogen absorption isnt a factor? hmmm so if my tissues are fully saturated with nitrogen I can come up with a 60ft/min ascent rate and not get bent? Golly Gee Willickers I need to try this!

(Please dont try this in case you didnt catch the scarcasm)

Take the class.

Exactly.

Opinions, myths, rumors, anecdotal evidence abounds whenever you bring up Nitrox in the "is it worth it" context.

I use it and I like it but if I could never dive it again, I would not miss it. Don't pay a ton to get the cert.

I know I am repeating myself, but I want to make this clear. Diving within the limits of the tables is already extremely safe. The probability of getting DCS after diving within those limits rounds off to zero. Diving within those limits while on nitrox DOES make it safer, but because diving on air is already so very, very safe, the difference is not statistically significant.

You make an important point: Diving is reasonably safe if you follow the rules and use good judgment.

The incidence of DCS is about 2 out of 10,000 dives, or 0.02%. There are other things that scare me a lot more than that.

That said, we have to remember that group statistics do not necessarily apply to individuals within the group. And since a fair number of DCS cases have no identifiable explanation, a person can never be absolutely certain that HE won't be one of the two. We must ask, "Do I have some genetic or other unknown predisposition to DCS that I don't know about? Could I be one of those that gets hit for no good reason?"

Yes, the numbers are small. But if you could lower the risk from .02% to .01%, that would be a 50% reduction in risk!

Can Nitrox make that much difference? I don't know whether it does, but I don't know that it does not, either.

As I said earlier, I try to assess the risks, then take whatever steps I can to minimize them. Sometimes, for me, that means using Nitrox.

(Sorry for the long wind here at the end. Others got in some good finalizing posts while I was composing this one -- with numerous interruptions...)

Last edited:
your kidding right? nitrogen absorption isnt a factor? hmmm so if my tissues are fully saturated with nitrogen I can come up with a 60ft/min ascent rate and not get bent? Golly Gee Willickers I need to try this!

(Please dont try this in case you didnt catch the scarcasm)

That`s 20 meters per minute, an unsafe ascent rate, thereby causing the pressure differential to exceed safe limits i.e. an UNSAFE ASCENT RATE

Sarcasm is truly the lowest form of wit :dork2:

roflmao I see there is not much sense in arguing this with you, obviously`we disagree and I doubt that will change. To each his own I suppose.

I was just wondering, I don't dive nitrox and I was wondering if it's worth it to get it. Everybody says it is, because its safer and you can get more time out of your dives as long as you still manage your air intake. But, How much longer will it let you stay down compared to the normal recreational no decompression limits?

Its well worth the extra if you enjoy feeling fresh after dives and you love to stay under longer. There are those who beleive its placebo but the truth is its just all around better for the dives.

You can look at some charts and see that at certain depths you can almost double your bottom time. I think 60 feet is optimal.

I usually feel pretty refreshed after diving, no matter which gas(ses) I use. Deep stops play an important role in this, not which sticker I have on my tank. I get the maximum amount of bottom time allowed by the volumn of gas in my tank, so it doesn't matter which gas I use. If I happen to go beyond the ndl, I extend my stops accordingly. No biggie. I just get to spend a little more time in the shallows.
Nitrox won't make my tank last any longer nor will it make me "feel" better after a dive. If I planned to go on a liveaboard and make multiple dives on consecutive days I may use nitrox, but it doesn't make sense to spend $10 for a dive I can make for next to nothing.

I fail to see the connection

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just see EAN as another tool in the toolbox as Reg stated.
I don't really think about DCS issues directly as I plan my dives and stay within my limits but do recognize that for some dives I can extend my bottom time while using EAN or decrease my SI's (compared to using air).
Forgetting the nitrogen loading aspect for a moment, it is worth noting that (for example using EAN 32%) one will be breathing 50% more O2 during a dive that if using air (within safe OPP limits). That is probably why one feels fresher after a dive.
I also think the benefits have to be weighed against the costs. For me using pre mixed EAN32% is only negligably more expensive than air so there is not really a cost issue. If I had to spend more and/or have someone blend it on the spot, I might have to reevaluate the cost/benefit ratio.

Well, I didn't really expect the thread to blow up like that! But I learned a lot from it and want to thank you all for giving your opinions. I'm going take the course and start diving nitrox. I really want to learn as much as I can about diving. So again, Thank you all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom