Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dressel Divers didn't charge for Nitrox when I was there in June 2014 and May 2015. They however pushed the Nitrox certification for those of us using air. I usually ascend with the dive master, so I didn't think there would be much benefit for me.

I usually ascend with the dive master, so I didn't think there would be much benefit for me.

Why is the DM ascending before the all divers are ready to?

(I have seen a case where a DM ran low before a diver, so the hold out had to end her dive, but it was like 90+ minutes... and not Columbia Shallows)

. I usually ascend with the dive master, so I didn't think there would be much benefit for me.
Whether you choose to dive Nitrox or not, you may want to do some more reading up on the benefits of Nitrox. If your coming up at 60 minutes with the dive master on a 5 dive day, you will see the benefits a little more then if your just doing 2-tanks per day, but the benefits "could" still be there, you be the judge. I dive with Nitrox on trips where i'm diving multiple days in a row, or more then 2 dives in one day. With the exception that I dove 3-tanks in one day using 21% a few weeks ago in Florida, but the dives were limited to 40 minutes, and were at no deeper then 40 Ft., I would of been pissed if I was talked into purchasing Nitrox for that charter. Which on a side not, I will never go out with Megladon Charters i.e., Florida Underwater Sports in Venice, Florida ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Dressel Divers didn't charge for Nitrox when I was there in June 2014 and May 2015. They however pushed the Nitrox certification for those of us using air. I usually ascend with the dive master, so I didn't think there would be much benefit for me.

I consider NITROX the cheapest and most effective dive 'insurance' money can buy! Given the average overall cost of a dive trip, the extra cost of NITROX is merely a rounding error in the overall budget.

I consider NITROX the cheapest and most effective dive 'insurance' money can buy! Given the average overall cost of a dive trip, the extra cost of NITROX is merely a rounding error in the overall budget.
Yup, I dive with it on my second tank EVERY time. Doesn't matter if we are at Colombia Shallows. I'm "mature", so I just view it as an extra precaution. It's a small price to pay...

Is that what imoto said?
If that isn't the implication (a shorter bottom time based on when the DM ascends), I'm confused why ascending with the DM would make nitrox unnecessary. I don't use nitrox because my air consumption sucks. I don't get extended times. Which means I'm usually up before the DM. My apologies if I read it wrong.

Last edited:
What I mean about ascending with the dive master is I'm usually one of the last persons in the group to run low.

My assumption (having not studied the benefits of nitrox) based on what I was reading was that nitrox offers longer bottom times.

I'll start a new thread about the benefits of nitrox.

Thanks

With the extra NDL would they allow you to dive your tank?

when I was there they sent low on air/nearing NDL divers up in buddy teams. The dive master would check the group periodically and send divers with similar remaining air up together and the rest of the group would continue on with their dive. Sadly, I was usually up pretty early compared to most...

Back
Top Bottom