No AquaLung Forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atomic doesn't have it's own forum, but they do have someone who contributes as a designated representative of Atomic.

Aqualung/Suunto and ScubaPro/Uwatec the only 2 major companies that are AWOL.

I don't think Aqualung or Scubapro make bad products. I've used products from each (but don't anymore). I do think that they're more worried about selling product to their dealer networks than they are with making sure that customers have a good experience.

The missing 2 (AL and SP) have huge dealer networks, and they get pressure from their dealers to fight the evils of the internet and keep things like they were 15 years ago. Having an official online presence would undercut the dealer pressure to keep local dealers as the only way a customer can get information, receive service, or buy product. Dealers just don't want to compete with each other on selection, service, or price.

From a customers perspective, you're stuck with whatever dealer happens to be in your local area. They might be great (many are) or they might suck monkey toes (many do). SP/AL are more concerned with happy dealers than happy divers so they try not to give customers alternatives if their dealer happens to suck.

Hi fireflock,

I respect your choices though do not share them. No Scubapro, Apeks, or Aqualung regulators and no Uwatec or Suunto computers. I don't see Halcyon or OMS listed either, no BP&Ws? Many divers would find this policy incompatible with their current equipment ownership.

Good diving, Craig

One of the more revealing threads about Aqualung, the "Terminated Relationship with Aqua Lung America......" thread was deleted after Aqualung and their legal group interjected with SB management.

The post was deleted....

but other threads about Aqualung and how they manipulate the dealers and consumers.

see ... (edited out because I have less than 5 posts... D'oh!)

plus many others.....

Thanks for the links. I've noticed many companies fight the evolution of their markets, especially with the increasing growth of e-commerce. I can understand the uncertainty of services needed for their products after the initial sale but shouldn't any dealer/shop be able to handle maintenance and repairs? With the current policies, if I bought a regulator and then moved across the country, will I not be able to get free parts because I can't get to the shop where I originally bought the reg?

I understand the value of LDS's experience and knowledge (especially since I'm new) but its a biased opinion of a product that they're pushing. I usually try to do some research before buying anything and I like having a choice of buying from a place I trust.

I bought my mask, snorkel, boots and fins from LesiurePro after they were recommended by a friend. I went to their storefront in NYC and they were very helpful and extremely easy to deal with. I bought fins online before I knew their store was so close and I had to exchange them. I was able to bring it to the store and get credit back and buy the ones I wanted w/o any hassle. They let me try them on to make sure they fit comfortably and insisted on trying another size just to make sure of the fit.

Point is, I like having a choice where I buy stuff and service is part of it. My LDS just tried to push $3500 worth of crap on me (which I could probably buy for under $2000 elsewhere) and didn't even ask me a single question to better understand my needs. That's why I won't support manufacturers that have such draconian business practices against their (potential) customers.

With the current policies, if I bought a regulator and then moved across the country, will I not be able to get free parts because I can't get to the shop where I originally bought the reg?

I think you would still get the free parts, as long as you could show proof of purchase from an authorized dealer and a record of yearly service.

The real problem with the AL/SP model comes if you move to a place with a bad local dealer. Say you want a new reg, but the dealer in the new town has dropped the ball multiple times. It's against the AL/SP rules for you to call the old dealer and have them mail you a reg. On the other hand, you are allowed to have a friend in the other town pick up the reg from the shop and drop it in the mailbox for you.

It's just silly, and anti-customer.

That policy has kept me from buying from shops in my state that I like and dive with (charters) but might not visit during the spring, fall, and winter. They have my credit card on file, and could easily drop something in the mail. Instead, I end up going to LP.

I don't have that problem with other brands.

TC:
And if you were an executive with AL would YOU want a forum here after reading this thread?

I sure wouldn't.

I am going to jump in here, just because it was "bad press" on ScubaBoard that originally brought me here.

In 2004, I had no idea that ScubaBoard exsisted until I recieved a call from a guy named Herman (ScubaBoard name.....wait for it...........................Herman!) who told me that there was some discussion regarding Zeagle on an online forum and that I should take a look at it.

I read it, registered as a user, and responded. I had to do a little apologizing, but after that I continued to monitor and be active in the forums. At that time there were no "manufacture specific" forums - just the general gear forums for BCs, Regs, etc. In retrospect, I miss those days, because now I jump on here, check the Zeagle forum, and jump back off....especially on busy days. Sometimes members will send me a PM with links to threads that they feel like I should read in the general BC section of wherever. (Thanks!)

I say all of that in order to qualify this - ScubaBoard has been great for Zeagle, and I like to think that by being here I have been good for ScubaBoard. I know for certain that our customers like being able to offer feedback, suggestions, kudos and complaints. I take the bad with the good, and try to use the bad as training for our sewing people and customer service reps.

All you need to do is look at the list of manufacturers who have their own forums to see how far it has come in only 5 years....

Just my 2 cents....

Scott

Bad thing tho is most companies do that. Aqualung, scubapro, diverite, salvo they all are just as bad. Heard more horror stories about scubapro but they sure make good products.

Thanks for the links. I've noticed many companies fight the evolution of their markets, especially with the increasing growth of e-commerce. I can understand the uncertainty of services needed for their products after the initial sale but shouldn't any dealer/shop be able to handle maintenance and repairs? With the current policies, if I bought a regulator and then moved across the country, will I not be able to get free parts because I can't get to the shop where I originally bought the reg?

I understand the value of LDS's experience and knowledge (especially since I'm new) but its a biased opinion of a product that they're pushing. I usually try to do some research before buying anything and I like having a choice of buying from a place I trust.

I bought my mask, snorkel, boots and fins from LesiurePro after they were recommended by a friend. I went to their storefront in NYC and they were very helpful and extremely easy to deal with. I bought fins online before I knew their store was so close and I had to exchange them. I was able to bring it to the store and get credit back and buy the ones I wanted w/o any hassle. They let me try them on to make sure they fit comfortably and insisted on trying another size just to make sure of the fit.

Point is, I like having a choice where I buy stuff and service is part of it. My LDS just tried to push $3500 worth of crap on me (which I could probably buy for under $2000 elsewhere) and didn't even ask me a single question to better understand my needs. That's why I won't support manufacturers that have such draconian business practices against their (potential) customers.

For most business men of my age group, social media appears to be a part of the marketing message that you can't control. To a degree, that is correct. However, we have the great fortune of having guys like Scott (Zeagle) and Doug (Oceanic), and many others, that have decided that an upfront message that is a little bit out of control might be better than no message at all.

I have to admit.....I would need to think twice before I jumped in if I was a scuba manufacturer. It takes time, dedication, and honesty to do this. Some apparently feel they might be lacking in one of these areas. And, they are apparently happy with their current message in format over which they have control.

Wise old advice from a smart guy: If there is a question you don't want to answer, don't call a press conference.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Last edited:
Jack Welch, was CEO of General Electric when he was in his late 60's.

He once said "You can't be in Business today with, with Yesterday's Business Model, and expect to be in Business Tomorrow".

The economic marketplace changes. You can change with it, or try to survive holding on to yesterday.

LeisurePro is an exception, they obtain products wherever they can and you can deal with the service and warranty question. Do you think large companies like Oceanic do not control the e-commerce price of their equipment, you're deluded.

Good diving, Craig

LeisurePro is an exception, they obtain products wherever they can and you can deal with the service and warranty question.

since this is a thread about Aqualung, and you brought up Leisure Pro, what makes you think they don't get their product direct from Aqualung like any other LDS does?

:popcorn:

since this is a thread about Aqualung, and you brought up Leisure Pro, what makes you think they don't get their product direct from Aqualung like any other LDS does?

:popcorn:

:dork2: They aren't an authorized dealer and don't offer factory warranty?

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom