No Ditch-able weights with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The example of needing ditchable weights to escape a down current seems like a particularly dangerous situation. The diver ditching weights would risk an uncontrollable assent once out of the down current.
The main point of having ditchable weigth is to be able to ditch at the surface. Ditching at depth may be a risk adventure (and is, even at PADI OW level, considered a last effort). Ditching on the surface at worst gives you an economical penalty, but allows you to float noticeably higher if SHTF. Which may - or may not - save your life if the conditions turn somewhat sporting.

When I dive in cooler waters and use 5/4 I wear my additional weights (versus a 3/2) on a weight belt. As much as I loathe belts, it gives me something partially ditchable and if I ever need to doff for any reason then I'm not dealing with a positive body and a negative rig.

I usually have a Halcyon weighted bellows pocket on the right and and Halcyon ACB pocket on the left.

You will be fine in your attire.

But you can put upside down trim pockets onto your waist strap, provided they have velcro and buckle closures, and place 1 or 2lb in each to drop if needed.

You will be fine in your attire.

But you can put upside down trim pockets onto your waist strap, provided they have velcro and buckle closures, and place 1 or 2lb in each to drop if needed.

In many cases one can just put the trim pocket on upside down on the lower tank band. Some have a grommet hole which one can attach a piece of string which to grab. For the OP I would try this approach if possible.

The diver ditching weights would risk an uncontrollable assent once out of the down current.

I'm sorry, but this is just wrong!
Ditching some of your wetsuit weight still leaves you negative, and you become neutral at some shallower depth, at which point you can offgas and reassess. With a balanced rig, you don't carry enough ditchable weight to give you a runaway ascent.

If you are overweighted, and dump ALL of that excessive weight, I suppose you could end up positively buoyant, but it is extremely unlikely at depth, because wetsuit compression removes your buoyancy. The question is, at what depth do you become neutral?

Reading the Buoyancy Tool thread in the Advanced Forum makes this crystal clear. I am upset that we continue to promulgate this myth.

When I dive in cooler waters and use 5/4 I wear my additional weights (versus a 3/2) on a weight belt. As much as I loathe belts, it gives me something partially ditchable and if I ever need to doff for any reason then I'm not dealing with a positive body and a negative rig.
This is the one thing that made me sort of want a belt when cold water diving... but comfort won and I didn’t. Still I always liked the idea of being weighted so gear could be taken off and on at depth while remaining separately neutral. Outside of tightening a loose strap or doing some Mike Nelson thing I have no idea why... lobster hole?

This is the one thing that made me sort of want a belt when cold water diving... but comfort won and I didn’t. Still I always liked the idea of being weighted so gear could be taken off and on at depth while remaining separately neutral. Outside of tightening a loose strap or doing some Mike Nelson thing I have no idea why... lobster hole?
Tank valve entangled in fishing line, and buddy out of sight?

Yes, I know. Two failures at the same time, but apparently quite a few divers are comfortable being same day same ocean buddies, so that's one failure already just after the descent

If you can't swim up against a full tank and your backplate with an empty wing, you need to switch to aluminum and use ditchable weight.

If you CAN swim against it, then there's no need for ditchable weight.

What AJ said. Emphasis mine.

The main operational concern is independability (i.e. not needing the wing to continue to work as intended to stay safe) - if that’s dealt with, the rest is just preference.

My personal preference is to have all ballast un-ditchable because I know there’s no risk of unintentional loss of ballast, I don’t risk dropping a block of lead on some poor sod below me’s head, and because I don’t consider dropping lead a strong enough solution to uncontrolled descends.

What are your opinions on this?

I dive a BP/W and depending on the situation may or may not carry lead. If I carry lead, most of it is on a rubber belt.

You should determine what you can swim up from depth with an empty BC.

I always have a plan for getting to the surface in the event of a BC failure, which can involve swimming up, ditching weights, or (when diving a twinset) filling a bag.

I always have a plan to staying on the surface in the event of a BC failure. Usually it involves ditching my kit. It is important to be able to do this, and practice it, because some people can't get out of a BP/W in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom