No Drop Bottles for 30M+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People who dive near or exceed NDL should make themselves aware of the similarities between DCI and Covid 19 and be aware that there is the possibility that asymptomatic / mild DCI may make you more susceptible to serious Covid 19

Can you provide a reference for that?

Thanks,

- brett

I agree down to 40m is generally regarded as recreational diving. It is the holiday makers or dive centers own insurance that puts on additional conditions or depth limits. One of that largest, possibly the largest holiday insurers in the UK limits scuba to 30 m on their typical policy. One dive centre I dive with on Lanzarote limits their dives to 30m, another requires additional insurance for dives between 30 and 40m. In Madeira they insist on a computer for dives over 20m, the outfit I dive with on the Algarve certainly insist on a computer over 30m and I think 20m.

They would not let you dive with a bottom timer and depth gauge?
I have never dived in Madeira or Algarve but never saw this sort of requirement in Porto, Berlengas, Sesimbra or the Azores. Nor in Galicia (Spain).

Can you provide a reference for that?
See COVID-19-related complications and decompression illness share main features.: Could the SARS-CoV2-related complications rely on blood foaming?
There are other similar articles on the internet that speculate the possibility of what I posted. I cannot divulge the names of people who are speculating about the possible link and why occasionally covid seriously attacks very fit younger people with no known underlying medical conditions. A not uncommon theme among these fit people is triathlon, altitude running or climbing athletic swimming or other activities that may promote fluid in the lungs. The people I cannot name include a professor who is a fellow of the royal society of pharmacologists and a professor who is former head of imaging (as in X rays, MRI etc) sciences at a UK university.
Locally there is a strange situation where 3 divers who have either been bent or on exactly the same dive as a diver who got DCI have had covid, not too serious initially, but it has turned into long covid and they find themselves struggling to climb stairs, very easily fatigued and not fit to dive many months after their relatively mild covid infection.

They would not let you dive with a bottom timer and depth gauge?
In Madeira computer definitely required for over 20 m by the outfit I dived with and another nearby.
On Algarve I never asked if I could not use a computer, everybody had one and they insisted it was set for the right gas and %. My guess is the insurers are insisting on computers so if anyone exceeds the policy depth limits and ends up needing expensive treatment the insurer can deny liability based on computers log.

In Madeira computer definitely required for over 20 m by the outfit I dived with and another nearby.
On Algarve I never asked if I could not use a computer, everybody had one and they insisted it was set for the right gas and %. My guess is the insurers are insisting on computers so if anyone exceeds the policy depth limits and ends up needing expensive treatment the insurer can deny liability based on computers log.
Exactly what happened in the early 00s in Egypt when a PADI OW got bent on a 47m dive. His family had to remortgage the house to pay for his treatment before he could leave the country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom