No fly time off gassing rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy,

It's always best to adhere to the policy of the agency from which you received your training. Boulderjohn cited the standard guidelines (12 hours after a no-stop dive, 18 hours after a repetitive or dive requiring decompression stops) earlier in the thread.

That said, there are guidelines for ascent to altitude after diving in the U.S. Navy Diving Manual, available for download here. See the explanation on page 9-57 and the table on page 9-61. Briefly, the table lists required preflight surface intervals that are based on the planned altitude and the diver's RGD at the end of the dive series.

This is NOT a recommendation for you to use these tables. Keep in mind that they are based on carefully controlled diving conditions, not on what I'd call typical recreational conditions. Also, these are minimum safe intervals, designed for use by military personnel. You may want to consider how you'd explain showing up at your other office with a case of the bends before you decide to "bend" the recreational guidelines.
03.gif

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for the info and the interesting input and the whole Vplanner plan.

As of right now, my flight is midnight. I was going to dive my new doubles all weekend to work out the kinks but now I'm going to dive my doubles on sat doing my deepest dive early morning. After that I'll be swimming around open water classes taking pictures of them, adjusting trim, and probably just doing drills for the next 2-3 dives. On SUNDAY I will dive in the morning 1 or 2 shallow dives at not more than 60 min total between the 2, which shouldn't be an issue if I'm following an open water class around, on 40% nitrox. I'll be done with my dive by late morning giving me 12+ hours under standard guidelines of 1 single dive or <60 min dive time. This just means I had to pack an additional bp/w in my dive box.

I've already let them know that I may end up bent at work when I told them I'd rather fly out monday morning and they said they needed me at the office monday morning so I needed to arrange the latest possible flight out. ha ha!

Dove, off gassed, flew to Atlanta, didn't get bent. Yay!

The real tissue rates is quite short, when calculated. Typically 1 hour per 1000 ft of elevation change needed for a simple recreational dive. This will reduce your tissues to acceptable supersaturation levels - not baseline non-diver levels.

But as discussed above, there is a healthy margin of safety applied in the recommendations. This is necessary to account for the edge cases and situations where divers have abused the limits already.

Note, it will be a painful flight if you do get bent in the plane - I don't believe they will divert a flight to off load you, particularly if your over an ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom