No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ana-Im really REALLY struggling here --why have you automatically jumped to stage 3 of the issue and totally ignored the far more important point ? That being- the OP's wife chose well in advance to dive with an inflator that was faulty.
This wasn't a "ohh ****" senario on the day this was a well pre existing equipment fault.
THEN they failed to inform others in their dive group.
Im not saying someone should plug your inflator in but there were 2 BIG stages that came and went before that happened.
It frightens me that the focus is on the third stage of a potential disaster.

So the thread is not about gear check or boat crew touching your stuff.

A diver is doing is thing at 50' and someone comes to F*** with this diver's gear... Of course this someone later tries to undo the F*kery he caused but can't.

My point, exactly.
OP was NOT discussing checking a tank valve before entry, but another diver mucking with a diver's life support system underwater, both without their permission, and without their knowledge.

Correct, but you made an absolute / blanket statement (the assault one), and that was responded to with a reasonable 'exception to the rule'; different to the OP but not OT.

Crikey folks Im pretty darned confused here....,

Help me understand.... ...

Easy. You guys talking about a different things related to the same OP. Similar to the prior crossed wires above.

Pretty wild story - if it can happen it will happen. I've worked on another diver's gear without their full and informed consent. For example, it is not all that unusual to see a tank slipping out from the BC strap.

I normally try to make sure the person knows I am there and not trying to kill them, but I am not sure there is a good signal for your tank is going to float off if I don't fix it.

I imagine the diver could work from above and behind a diver and re-connect the hose quickly without being too obvious. I don't think I would ever hook a hose up like that, but I might grab the end of the hose and the inflator and wave them around in the diver's face if I suspected they were unaware of the disconnect.

Please stay well away from me under water. If you notice something you think is broken, inform the diver, don’ t just grab their equipment.

And how about the well-meaning crew member who touches your valve just before you splash? I know there are different schools of thought on that.

Keep hands off my gear.

Ana-Im really REALLY struggling here --why have you automatically jumped to stage 3 of the issue and totally ignored the far more important point ? That being- the OP's wife chose well in advance to dive with an inflator that was faulty.
This wasn't a "ohh ****" senario on the day this was a well pre existing equipment fault.
Im not saying someone should plug your inflator in but there were 2 BIG stages that came and went before that happened.

You are clouding the issue with irrelevant details here. The problem isn't that there was a strange confrontation (inflator disconnected).
The problem is that somebody took it on themselves to play with somebody's equipment during a dive WITHOUT asking.
As an example, people who dive with drysuit often have a small tank for inflating the suit. They quite often ALSO have an inflator hose connected to their first stage as a backup for if the small tank has issues. Do you honestly think that anyone has the right to come over and start trying to connect the spare inflator hose to something???
If you see an issue, point it out. Nobody ever has any right to do anything to someone else's equipment without permission.

The problem is that somebody took it on themselves to play with somebody's equipment during a dive WITHOUT asking

This whole thing is a perfect example of the Incident pit where a series of event leads to something greater

A better (IMO) write up of the incident would be this as a learning exercise

1. New BCD had malfunctioning inflator - sent to shop for repair

2. Shop delivers BCD to owner on day of dive, untested.

3. The dive group consists of 2 dive couples Couple 1. She (Diver 1) OW approx 100 dives, He (Diver 2) Rescue diver approx 100 dives Couple#2 Divers 3 and 4) a pair with approx 20-30 dives each

4. Couple 1 found the Inflator to still be malfunctioning but chose to dive it disconnected. They did not inform the other couple they were diving with about the malfunctioning inflator, nor their decision to dive with it disconnected

5. During Dive Diver 3 notice Diver 1's LPI hose disconnected and try to assist without asking (Diver 1)

6. The Diver 1 doesn't notice someone tampering with her gear - (or does but doesn't stop them)

7. On connection Diver 1's BCD has runaway inflation, she has a fast ascent, but does not disconnect LP hose, nor try to arrest ascent by dumping air. (As taught in PADI OW Course)

8. Diver 3 tries to stop ascent, but loses grip

9 Diver 2 (Rescue Diver) is too far away from his buddy to be able to render assistance, or notice Diver 3's actions

And so:

So remove any of the first 4 points and point 5 wouldn't of happened.

With Diver 3's actions it shouldn't have become a problem if Divers 1 & 2 have been more practiced with their relevant training

If I were the DM on the boat, I'd for sure chat to Diver 3 about his actions, but Diver's 1 and 2 would also get spoken to, about their failings - Especially Diver 2 a Rescue Diver - because all this is covered in his course in both theory and practical skills and he should have done more

In the event its nothing more than a minor scare, and a few bruised egos, which provide a learning experience for all, especially that all training is useless if you forget the knowledge and skills you've learnt

With regards to point 4, is it usual practice for one dive pair to inform the other people not part of that immediate group of a “non-standard” equipment setup? I could see that as a bit unrealistic when many pairs fail to even do that between the two of them.

With regards to point 4, is it usual practice for one dive pair to inform the other people not part of that immediate group of a “non-standard” equipment setup? I could see that as a bit unrealistic when many pairs fail to even do that between the two of them.

If you are diving as a small group, then yes it would be recommended to mention important things (Air2 or location of alt 2nd or having hose disconnected) if you are part of a gaggle following a DM, then your buddy and DM only (even if you told others, they'd generally have forgotten before they get wet)

If you are diving as a small group, then yes it would be recommended to mention important things (Air2 or location of alt 2nd or having hose disconnected) if you are part of a gaggle following a DM, then your buddy and DM only (even if you told others, they'd generally have forgotten before they get wet)

They will have forgotten about 5 seconds after you finish telling them. Large groups of people and intelligence don't ever go together.

Right here is a great example of the differences among people's philosophies.
I got a gut reaction about "stage 3" and you struggle with me skipping 1 and 2.
I have to be me and you have to you.

Stages 1 and 2 TO ME are decissions made by and adult. Full stop right there.

I'm not in this adult's mind to know the back story's how's or why's, and none of my business.
Is not my place to decide what is good for someone else, and don't welcome when someone else tries to decide for me. The difference between me and and the OPs lady is the I'm usually on my own topside and underwater, so when I'm around people I try very hard to be aware of my surroundings so most likely I will spot someone approaching me. on that though I'll be seeing a guy approaching me with a purpose, based on my past reactions I'll get defensive real quick.
Also based on past events I end up being the "bad" person. That's what I struggle understanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom