no heel or heel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
What is the difference between a heel fin and a open fin, All my scuba shop sells are open heel. I dive in or shall I say going to dive in NewEngland cold water. Last thing I've been told rocket fins are the best. Now I know different people have different opiops but is their any truth to this.
Steve:fire: :fire: :fire:

If your gonna be diving cold water your gonna need an open heel fin so your booties will fit in the foot pocket. you wont be able to fit your foot with a boot on in a closed heel fin.Closed heel fins are mainly for tropics where you will be going barefoot or with just a sock on.

As far as rocket fins.They have been around a long time and are a proven fin.I used to use scubapro twinjets but had to sell them when i got my drysuit.My size 12 foot wouldnt fit my x-lg fins.I now have apollo split fins that fit my drysuit boot and like them almost as much as my twinjets.

There are a lot of different fins to choose from.If you can try some out in a pool or on a dive if your gonna buy from your local dive shop.There is a grip load of debate over split fins.Ill just say i love mine.It seems to me most of the recreational dive crowd seems to like them while the tech diver crowd prefer the jet fins,turtles,rocket fins,blades,etc and seem to dislike the split fins.

I think what you are talking about are full foot pocket fins versus open heel strap-on type fins. A lot of people who dive in warm water, and snorkelers prefer to use full foot pocket fins because they do not need to wear boots or booties that way. I think most scuba divers who dive in temperate or cold waters definetly use open heel fins so that they wll fit over boots or booties, and I think that you would be hapier with open heel fins.

Steve,

From a fellow MA diver....as mentioned by everyone above, open heel is the only way to go if you are diving locally. You'll need booties, and the vast majority of foot pocket fins won't fit over booties (especially if you've got big feet already)

Good luck.

-Chris

I guess it is better for cold water diving (although I don't know) and for many other scenarios, as it better protects the feet, while much easier to walk around when the fins are not in use.

I started diving with closed fins and went to open + booties.

You can learn more by looking into some threads that deal with booties and fins.

Ari :)

You can use full fit fins in cold water, freedivers do it all the time and I used full-foot fins for New England scuba diving for several years and still use them for freediving.

I'm repeating some comments I've previously posted elsewhere answering several questions about using full-foot freediving fins for cold water diving in case anyone is interested.

Ralph

When using heavier neoprene socks with full-foot fins you must fit the socks and fins together. Socks can be found in 1 mm to 7 mm thicknesses and Deep Thought makes some with thin kevlar soles. The kevlar works farily well but sharp rocks will tear them up. To make socks last when walking on land it's best to wear sandals or surf shoes over them. On a boat this isn't a problem.

For cold water diving you buy fins one size larger than you would use with bare feet and then fit a sock. For example, with my fins I use a 5 mm sock, 3 mm socks are too loose and thicker socks may either cause cramping or make it impossible to put the fins on. When I've borrowed Picasso fins to test, my socks wouldn't fit and I had to borrow a pair.

A couple of comments, socks are fine for boat diving and freediving from shore where I can easily wear sandals and then attach them to my float while diving. However, for scuba diving from shore in a rocky area they are just too painful to bother with. Walking with the weight of a full cold-water scuba rig, over New England rocks, with no soles on your feet, hurts. The difference between well-fitted open heel and boots compared to full-foot fins is too insignificant to endure the pain and the risk of falling.

If you want to know what size socks to use, that depends on the fins and your feet. I have narrow size 11 feet and would probably start with 5 mm socks, but that's just a wild guess. 5 mm has worked for me with both Beuchat Goldfin and Sporosub foot pockets, but not Picasso.

Even the added thickness of a thin kevlar sole may be significant. If you can't try them on at a dive shop, you might talk to the mail order dealer and ask them to send you several sizes and return the ones that don't work for a refund.

Too loose is annoying, wastes power, and increases the risk of losing a fin. Too tight causes cramps very quickly.

One other trick, I find the soles and stiching last much longer if
coated with a layer of "tool dip" or similar coating.

One more thing. You need to be careful that the fin doesn't loosen up with depth as the neoprene in the sock compresses, it might slip off. Obviously this will depend on how tight the fit is to start with and how stretchy the foot pocket on the fin is. Some freedving fins' such as the older Sporosub pockets' have almost no stretch.

Adding fin keepers which can be found at many dive shops or at Blue Water Hunter on the web will ensure the fins won't slip off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom