No inserts?? No problems!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sibermike7

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
(Please note that the following is true except that I tried to make the great folks at Force Fin [Blair mainly] appear as the evil villains. I think that they'll bear with me because the story has a happy ending!) :D

Well, after much counsel and discussion with the Pros at Force Fin, it was decided that I needed XXXL for my drysuit as I have very wide feet. To do justice to Blair, he LIVES at FFin, so he doesn't quite relate to trying to obtain anything here in Estonia. So when, Blair said, "No sweat Mike, if the XXXL are too big put an insert in it, or even two! That's what I do."

Well, that was fine and dandy until my fins arrived and I could about put BOTH feet in them! :shakehead:

Hmm. Need inserts, I guess. Just like Blair suggested. So, I checked the net and a lot of places either wouldn't ship to us or wanted like 3 million dollars in shipping and couldn't guarantee that they would arrive before Obama's third term and I needed them yesterday because we had a scheduled ice-dive coming up. (Ice-diving is very labor intensive so the chances don't come around very often.)

I had a choice modify my existing fins to fit my drysuit boots or simply borrow the dive shops rental fins.

So, I did what any red-blooded man would do. I bought some duct tape added a little sweat and ingenuity. (Not wanting to be too obvious, I did buy the black color. :eyebrow: ) A few snips of the scissors on some dense foam and wa-lah! CUSTOM INSERTS A-LA DUCT TAPE!

The problem is NOTHING sticks to Bob's polyurethane! Not water, not glue, and surely not duct tape. So I had to tape the SNOT of these things to keep them in place. But I succeeded! They worked like a charm!

Speaking of charms, they acted like magnets to these guys. The first time I unveiled my Force Fins here they called me Donald Duck, now they are starting to look seriously at them. I envision the day when we start seeing them for sale in the shops here.

After working like mules to get the site prepared my legs were already cramping. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I had to have used the rentals! Thanks again Bob, Blair, and the folks at FFINS!

Attachments

• 2009_0123(002) sm.jpg
    2009_0123(002) sm.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 2009_0123(003) sm.jpg
    2009_0123(003) sm.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 2009_0123(004) sm.jpg
    2009_0123(004) sm.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 2009_0124(053)sm.JPG
    2009_0124(053)sm.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 101
Sibermike, you are brilliant. Duct tape who would ever have thought about that. I might do just that to the excellerators that I hardly ever use because I tend to misplace those custom inserts from time to time.

Thanks cast!
I had to split the tape down the middle to make it thin enough to go all the way around under the area where the straps hook in. This established an anchor point because even duct tape won't stick to the urethane.. Use a lot of small pieces to tie everything together and then when it is all done i used some bigger pieces so that I didn't have any tape edges inside the foot pocket to catch on my boots. It isn't as good as the custom insteps, but is a good "stop gap" measure until you can get insteps installed. I dove yesterday through the ice and it held up great.

Oh, and the foam we used was one of those roll out camping mats. We resurfaced a bunch of chairs at church and used this foamed tripled up for the seat padding. It is pretty dense so it holds up well and it's cheap! I just used some of the scraps! :wink:

sibermike7,
Glad to see you did not miss a dive. Sorry to hear that you are going to need comfort Insteps. It really is the best sizing tool as I had mentioned to you. Thank you as it has been awhile since I have played the evil villain. God Bless your marine ops ingenuity. We do ship anywhere in the world and if you are still having trouble getting comfort insteps
instep_product
shipped to you. Please PM me or contact me at forcefin@forcefin.com
Thanks for your post and sharing your photos.

I made a saddle for my motorcycle out of that stuff once. Sounds like your inserts turned out a lot better than that disaster.

I made a saddle for my motorcycle out of that stuff once. Sounds like your inserts turned out a lot better than that disaster.
:rofl3::rofl3:

The modern duct tape is much better quality! It also depends on the model & year of the bike. Everyone knows that prior to '83 all Harleys were repaired and held together with baling wire, duct tape, bubble gum and Vise-grips!
m

Attachments

• Mike on Harley.jpg
    Mike on Harley.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 66
Got my third pair of FFins in yesterday (XXL). So now I have XL, XXL, XXXL! Barefoot, Booties, or Boots, I can fit all three! :wink:
Where's the water!?

SIBERMIKE7, Thank you for your support, send Blair your address, I like to send you some thing special. Best Bob

Back
Top Bottom