No Joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Today, a diver on the boat thought it would be funny to turn off my air between dives as a joke. Fortunately, the boat captain and I have lots of patience with stupid and no CSI's were needed. I found the problem when I flow-checked my rig just before going back into the water. My biggest concern was for the safety of the OW divers I opted to dive with on the wreck of the America. If one of them had a gas problem while descending, I could have donated a reg that would have put them OOG again! I often shut down my tanks to save gas from leaking between dives. Today, I knew I left both valves open on my doubles. The guy shut off my right side long hose. Flow check ... always flow check.

I try to always remember to flow check. But, I'm human and such a joke could result in disaster if rushing in a rescue scenario or if simply forgotten.

Yes. The captain took care of it.

Do you know what was said? Did this person apologize to you? What did they say (or not say or do)?

Wow. That is incredible. I have a sense of humor that offends many (gutter!) and there are many things that I think cannot be touched both literally and figuratively. When it comes to safety like this - not allowed at all.

I got in the habit early of breathing while watching my SPG immediately before splash every dive.

I would be pissed if I knew someone actually thought this was a joke. Not cool.

I got in the habit early of breathing while watching my SPG immediately before splash every dive.

I would be pissed if I knew someone actually thought this was a joke. Not cool.

Same. I learned from DAN - if needle jumps it is indication of air not being turned on all the way which I can see how that is accidentally done, especially with valves that are really tight and seem all the way open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom