No more diving for me this year :^(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.:
I got attacked by a Great Dane tonight and until I heal up no diving.

The injuries are basicly minor but to keep from getting an infection I have to stay dry. This sucks, now we are down another one, "ME"

Gary D.

Gary,

I'd heard you'd "gone to the dogs", but that was a long time ago! :eyebrow:

Seriously, sorry you're hurt! Get well soon!

Rob

Gary:

Glad that you are OK! Not diving sucks! Take care of yourself!

Dan

By the way, is the Great Dane suffering from Lead Poisoning?

Boater Dan:
Gary:

Glad that you are OK! Not diving sucks! Take care of yourself!

Dan

By the way, is the Great Dane suffering from Lead Poisoning?

Wow! Great Danes can be very intimidating dogs. As I used to do the same job you do, Gary, I was wondering if the pooch got a little JHP snack. I know what I would have done... Speedy recovery to Ya!

DennisW:
Ouch, and Great Danes are usually very friendly dogs. They usually think they are lap dogs.
Yeah, a friend of mine has one. Still thinks it's a lap dog at 150 pounds. :11:

Just a quickie. I'm OK.

I'll explain more later but the bite went from right next to the boys to the back side of my leg. Not quite my butt but close.

My notebook, keys and a knife saved me from a nasty injury.

The dog is still alive but will be put down in 10 days.

90% of a new can of pepper kept me from shooting her.

More later, I need to get off my butt. I should have taken tonight off.

Gary D.

Sorry to hear about your attack Gary. Glad you made it out ok. I work at a house that has a great dane, and have been informed to close the gate because it's getting old and senile. Makes me real warm and fuzzy. I'm always keeping my eyes out for that dane. If the dane comes near me in a threatening manner, I will beat it with a 20 lb backpack, my knife, or atleast with a lawn mower of some sorts. Sorry to hear you are done with diving for the year and I hope you make a quick recovery and are back in action soon. I just had my wisdom teeth removed so I am also out of action till atleast the new year.

Matt

Gary D.:
I got attacked by a Great Dane tonight and until I heal up no diving.

The injuries are basicly minor but to keep from getting an infection I have to stay dry. This sucks, now we are down another one, "ME"

Gary D.

Sorry to hear about it. S__t happens. Oh well, you've got to spend the holidays with your family. <G>

“AND NOW THE REST OF THE STORY”

I get dispatched to a local immediate car center to take a dog bite report from a UPS driver.

I get there and the wound is very minor. It only amounted to a few scratches, but per the code, it broke the skin so I need to take a report.

The UPS driver went to the residence and was face to face with the homeowner talking. The dog was standing along side them on the drivers left side.

When the driver handed the owner a package the average size Great Dane nipped his left side. That’s it. But a nip from a Dane can be serious. The bite was at 10am and it’s 7:30 now.

I get the info I need and go to the residence. A nice place in a wooded area that’s well lit.

I go up the ramp to the deck and the front door with a can of pepper spray in hand. Ding Dong, nothing. Knock, Knock and missile lock. Here comes a Great Dane that does not want a cookie.

The dog gets within 5’ and stops. Pepper is aimed but she doesn’t do anything. Now she’s like a typical couch potato Great Dane wagging her tail.

Then with out a hint she takes a bite. A good blast of pepper gets her to let go and move away. Now the problem is she is between me and my car, at the other end of the ramp.

She is shaking off the spray when she charges me. Again I spray her and she stops. Over and over again.

I try kicking in the front door, which is rock solid. I need that door between that dog and me but it won’t open.

I’ve got enough for one more spray and then it’s the 45 but back up got there and distracted her long enough for me to get clear.

Once animal control arrived we tried to TAZE her but getting both prongs into a skinny dog is tough.

Then catch pole time. Three of them, 5 of us and she threw all of us around for a while. None of us have ever seen a Dane go wild like she has.

We finally get her into the AC truck and I go to the hospital. Those clowns, everyone barked at me, even the doc's.

Thank god for my cop style notebook in my back pocket and keys and a knife in my front pocket. They all worked together to lessen the bite.

I ended up with around 10 puncture wounds right at the base of my butt. The front of my leg has some major bruising and hurts like I got caught in a vice.

It was about two hours later when we get a hold of the owners. They felt real bad about the incident and said they were planning on putting her down in the next few days. She is almost 10 years old, which is very old for a Great Dane. Over the past three months she has been acting weird and they didn’t trust her very far.

They were very apologetic and wanted to know what they could do. Seeing how they were very nice and had a good attitude, I jokingly said you could kiss the wound and make it better but I’ll have my Lt. do that.

The Lt. even got a chuckle but no results yet.

I should be dry for a couple of weeks but it it’s an emergency I’ll still go. We can clean it up again, no big deal.

About shooting the dog. I have a real problem shooting a dog unless it’s absolutely necessary. 99% of the time it’s not the dogs fault but an A-hole owner who I don’t have a problem shooting. It just seems that the dog is the innocent victim most of the time.

There aren’t many mean dogs by nature. There are a lot of mean people out there that have the power of choice. They just seem to make the wrong one most of the time.

I went right back to work and worked last night as well. Last night I had a reserve with me just in case. If I don't keep moving I stove up real tight. Better safe than sorry.

Gary D.

Gary,

Glad to hear you are doing Ok. The Dane must be just old and cranky. 10 is old for a Great Dane. I had one scare the holy #$%& out of me once a long time ago. I was in High School, a very, very long time ago, delivering a prescription for the pharmacy I worked at as a delivery person. That tells you how long ago it was, when was the last time a pharmacy delivered anything (free of charge)? I had been to this house many times and never seen a dog. This time it was a night delivery. I went in the gate and the next think I knew I had paws on my shoulders and I was looking up into a big dog's face. I nearly died from fright. He licked me.

Back
Top Bottom