No More Support For Data Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know better then to listen to rumors! I even heard one that you quit discarding your BVDs at the BHB! We all know better!

MB:
You know better then to listen to rumors! I even heard one that you quit discarding your BVDs at the BHB! We all know better!

That's no rumor, I ran out of BVDs, totally commando now.

But even commando, you still wear the Data Mask. I hate to think what the data report tells you!

The dive shop called me a few days ago saying that there was some sort of a deal going on with the Datamask right now. He didn't go into too much detail but it had to do with repairs. He said that they would not be able to do warranty/repair work on them for about a year. If repairs were needed that Oceanic would be offering to replace the datamask with a VTX. I would need to talk to him more to find out any details.

Drat. I was just notified by my LDS from Oceanic that my Datamask is not currently servicable. Not that there is anything wrong with it. It says they are trying to locate suitable parts but they might not be available for a year or so. Not that I expect it needing serviced. They did offer me a discount on the new VTX but my datamask is over 3 years old so I would end up getting one for $700 and keep my old transmitter. Not that it would be at a savings.

They did say that they were trying to source suitable quality parts but it could take time.

I think I will just keep it anyway. :rant:

I got this from the LDS today.

“Valued Oceanic Retailer,
At this time, several critical components required to service the Datamasks are not available from our vendor. The material originally sourced and used to produce plastic components such as the frame, optics cover, battery hatch, etc. is no longer available to purchase and has failed to pass our qualification process.
We are nearly 1 year from the production and qualification process, and we regret that we can no longer produce or offer service on the Datamask, and the Datamask has been moved to the non-serviceable item list. While manufacturing is continuing to work with their supplier to source an equivalent material, no ETA can be provided at this time.

Thank you for your understanding.”
1. If the Data mask is still under warranty (2 yrs or less from the purchase date) and it is broken or functional the customer can get a new VTX wrist unit at no charge with trade in on the mask (and keep the existing Datamask transmitter for the air link)
2. Datamask is between 2 – 3 yrs old (from original purchase date) you can upgrade to the VTX wrist unit for $500.00 by trading in your Datamask (and keep the existing Datamask transmitter for the air link)
3. The Datamask is over 3yrs old (from original purchase date) you can upgrade to the VTX for $700.00 by trading in your Datamask (and keep the existing Datamask transmitter for the air link ) or they can upgrade to any other Oceanic computer and get 20% off the MSRP by Trading in the Datamask AND Transmitter.
To view details about the full color VTX visit here:
VTX
VTX

Last edited:
The shop I use had their annual May Sale today. I spoke to the Oceanic rep about this. He said that the Data Mask is dead. He doesn't look for it to make a comeback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom