No need to move this thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, are the 'reporters' tracked to see how often they are 'offended' by posts? Particularly by specific posters versus the topic at hand? Sometimes, the 'trouble' is with the reporter and not the reported. Reminds me of work where a manager should set the complainer straight instead of reacting to every little whine that complainer is making. I think healthy debate is important (without name calling of course) so I am always surprised by some individuals who seem overly sensitive and think every topic should be handled like Sunday School discussions. I suspect we have a few members with 'report finger' syndrome.

Just a thought.

I see. I think you're putting your finger on something important. There are two main issues at play the way I see it.

1) Not everyone is the same and many moderation actions require "judgement calls". Any time you ask 3 people to make a judgement call you're going to get three different interpretations and possibly 3 different actions. We do, in fact, discuss reports in the back room but it doesn't always lead to consistency.

2) There tends to be a bit of a moving baseline with respect to what gets moderated. There is also a grey area. Too much and people don't like it. Too little and they don't like it either. Somewhere in between there's a happy medium but the bar tends to move, which means that what we did *this* week might not be the same as what we did *last* week. I can certainly understand taht being confusing. It confuses me too! LOL

How do you think we should address those issues?

R..

I see your point, especially about 3 people seeing the same situation differently :shakehead:

No two - never mind 20,000+ people are ever going to agree.

I think there are a fair number of folks who view SB like an encounter group, where we are all supposted to validate each others feelings. God forbid you post or reply to a post in a strongly worded manner - but sometimes, this makes the point well.

And I wonder how many use the "Report" button when a post is strongly worded and does not agree with their point :confused:

And lets face it - having grown up in New York, I appreciate strong personalities, and perhaps in your face type humor.

I've posted this way numerous times, but I don't think my posts could ever be construed as nasty or mean spirited - a little NY humor, sure. You can't be surprised that some posters - even those w/ thousands of posts, are really :dork2:'s.

I think strong personalities and strong opinions make the board - and I'd rather read, for example, 1000 "Onespeed" posts than one "What are the conditions in the Keys?" by someone who is a "user" of the board vs a contributor.

My vote is to go a little easier on the "Post Deleted" button.

To me, folks like "Onespeed" add humor, but are also always there with good info.

Others, and I will include my self in this group, are perhaps less "sensitive"

Thanks for reading! :D

Out of curiosity, are the 'reporters' tracked to see how often they are 'offended' by posts? Particularly by specific posters versus the topic at hand? Sometimes, the 'trouble' is with the reporter and not the reported. Reminds me of work where a manager should set the complainer straight instead of reacting to every little whine that complainer is making. I think healthy debate is important (without name calling of course) so I am always surprised by some individuals who seem overly sensitive and think every topic should be handled like Sunday School discussions. I suspect we have a few members with 'report finger' syndrome.

Just a thought.

I doubt they are doing anything automated in that regard. However, vbulletin does tell you who made the report in the email. So any mod paying attention to them will probably start to see trends of who is doing the reporting and who is being reported.

This has been a very interesting thread to follow. There is a quite a bit of the mechanics of SB that I just take for granted, and reading threw these twelve pages plus the "split" portion I have learned a lot about what goes on "behind the scenes" in moderating us miscreants.

Seriously, I would not want the job. Just catching up on 12 pages of one thread, I joined and left early on today, has taken a bit of time. I can not imagine having to jump into thread after thread when some one files a report, and sort threw all the posts of those threads to find and solve the problem reported, as well as any other offenses that may have occurred. Not and have a life too!

I see where understanding what we posters may have done to get deleted is an important part of learning. Knowing what we may or may not say, and having a solid understanding of what the rules are and how they are to be applied is important.

Hard to balance the need for consistent understandable rules, and good communication between admin and posters, with the fact there is a heck of a lot of SB to cover by people who are volunteering......

Thank you to a lot of people for making for one very informative read, and giving me a lot to think about.

Out of curiosity, are the 'reporters' tracked to see how often they are 'offended' by posts?
Absolutely not! We try to not let past history affect how we handle a particular post. Either the post is within the ToS or not, irrespective of who reported it. However, when we see a pattern of abuse in reporting, it's quite often followed with a PM to the abuser to cease. There have been people reporting posts just because they disagreed with them. Wow. Someone on the internet disagreed with you? Say it ain't so! :D

As an aside, I am probably the most moderated user here on ScubaBoard. They have yet to figure out how to ban me though! :D

Seriously, I would not want the job.
Surprisingly, one of the many ways to eliminate yourself from ever being a mod is to ask to be one. There ARE exceptions, but for the most part we look for those helping others and consistently taking the higher road in any controversy. This is NOT a glamor position.

OK so now we have a scenario where one person called another an idiot and it gets reported but there are 6 other occurrances in the thread. Does one remove just ONE occurrance as reported or all? This brings us back to consitency. If it is black and white enough to make the call on in the first place, then all occrrances whoucl be that balck and white.
Do you consistently report every post you see where someone has called another user an idiot? If you do, we (especially I) will consistently edit or delete the post to remove the personal attack. If you don't report it, we may not see it, and moderation will appear inconsistent.
Consistent reporting directly contributes to consistent modertion.
:)
Rick

Out of curiosity, are the 'reporters' tracked to see how often they are 'offended' by posts? Particularly by specific posters versus the topic at hand? Sometimes, the 'trouble' is with the reporter and not the reported.

We don't keep any kind of lists or statistics, if that's what you mean. You're also right that sometimes the 'trouble' is with the reporter. We're pretty good at catching those on the whole.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom