No need to move this thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An effort to keep this thread on topic.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Besides, if one has time to respond to a PM then surely they have time to send one to avoid the question in the first place.
If a SINGLE post is removed, then I or the mods will almost always send a PM. I sent you one just yesterday. However, if MULTIPLE posts are removed, and most for the same reason, then a single Mod Post serves not only to convey the issue at hand to not only the users in question, but also to those who did not have their post removed and see that some are gone as well as serve as a warning to those getting caught up in the lynch mob mentality. RARELY does someone question why their particular post was removed in light of such a mod post. Rather than belabor a mod's time and patience to accommodate an occasional exception, I think it's far more appropriate to allow the mods to have as much fun on ScubaBoard as possible. After all, that is their first job as a moderator. If and when there IS an exception, there is less time answering just it, then in sending dozens of other PMs to users who had their needs met by a simple mod posting.

FWIW, the new servers are doing great! There are only about a dozen people still on the old servers, so the cut over is almost as complete as it was seamless. :D

I can appreciate this stance Pete. Especially if the Mods reply to their PM's when they are asked why one's posts were deleted. This, however, does not always happen. In fact, in my experience, I have had more PM"s to Mods go unanswered than answered. I can call this "in the past" and see what the future brings. I agree that if a group of posters descend into a thread like a pack of ravenous dogs and start attacking someone, it should be obvious why the posts were delted. But, Mods have to understand that sometimes it does not happen the way they think....perceived guilt does not always equal guilt so a timely response to a PM with a brief explanation should be a fair concession. Again, my issue is on more than one occasion, my posts have disappeared and there was zero indication as to why and no PM replies were ever received. I therefore have no idea what could have been wrong with them. Maybe nothin was wrong other than I got caught in cross fire. And you are correct, as I have stated earlier in this thread, some Staffers/Mods do make a rule of sending a PM. And, as you have personally witnessed, I always reply with a Thank You for the heads up....and possibly a question about why. Fair is Fair after all.

If a SINGLE post is removed, then I or the mods will almost always send a PM. I sent you one just yesterday. However, if MULTIPLE posts are removed, and most for the same reason, then a single Mod Post serves not only to convey the issue at hand to not only the users in question, but also to those who did not have their post removed and see that some are gone as well as serve as a warning to those getting caught up in the lynch mob mentality. RARELY does someone question why their particular post was removed in light of such a mod post. Rather than belabor a mod's time and patience to accommodate an occasional exception, I think it's far more appropriate to allow the mods to have as much fun on ScubaBoard as possible. After all, that is their first job as a moderator. If and when there IS an exception, there is less time answering just it, then in sending dozens of other PMs to users who had their needs met by a simple mod posting.

FWIW, the new servers are doing great! There are only about a dozen people still on the old servers, so the cut over is almost as complete as it was seamless. :D

I can appreciate this stance Pete. Especially if the Mods reply to their PM's when they are asked why one's posts were deleted.
That makes at least two of us. :D

To address the other issues, be SURE that your post is worded to elicit a response. There are a TON of posts I don't respond to simply because they only accept or decry my actions and there is nothing worded in a question format! Every now and then, I get a follow up PM demanding why I didn't answer the first PM. When I go back to the original PM, I can still discern no obvious questions except for the occasional rhetorical ones. Since January 1, 2009, I have received 4,469 PMs. If you send me a snarky PM, I find the very best way to handle them is to simply read them and move on. Replying in ultra-snark mode is usually counter-productive.

To a person, the mods take their stewardship of ScubaBoard seriously. It is my opinion that individually and collectively they do an outstanding job. They are constantly trying to improve themselves and how they do their volunteer job here on ScubaBoard. I could make a pithy comment about how we at least are getting our money's worth, but in reality these volunteers are invaluable in running the Board and in keeping it as friendly as it is. I am not sure what it is about our community that makes them commit their vast amounts of time and energy, but I am certain that I am proud to be associated with them.

Do they have faults? As many as you but not near as many as I have. Chip is always telling me that I "have" to give toe party line and support my mods. Well golly gee: THEY MAKE IT EASY TO DO! Well guess what? They see their faults just as clearly as you do and they are actively trying to improve. There is a discussion (battle royale?) in the back room about what they should be learning from this discussion. Their insight into what should be done is amazing.

2 1/2 years ago we trimmed ScubaBoard staff of many of our hard nosed mods. The initiative was to make the moderators and subsequently ScubaBoard far more harmonious. Almost every mod decision we make now goes back to that initiative: making this a very friendly place. It's why we created the guide group for basic and new to scuba. Now, here is my promise to every user here on ScubaBoard. We are committed to being the friendliest and most relevant diving forum on the internet. We have some really cool features that we will be rolling out soon that I think you will LOVE.

Last edited:
That makes at least two of us. :D

To address the other issues, be SURE that your post is worded to elicit a response. There are a TON of posts I don't respond to simply because they only accept or decry my actions and there is nothing worded in a question format! Every now and then, I get a follow up PM demanding why I didn't answer the first PM. When I go back to the original PM, I can still discern no obvious questions except for the occasional rhetorical ones. Since January 1, 2009, I have received 4,469 PMs. If you send me a snarky PM, I find the very best way to handle them is to simply read them and move on. Replying in ultra-snark mode is usually counter-productive.

Pete, while I totally understand your frustration in this situation, I'd suggest a different method of handling it. Rather than just delete it and move on if there's no discernable question, consider responding with a simple "Your concerns have been noted." I realize that your time is valuable and that responding to every single PM might seem a waste of it, but if it prevents you having to read a second or third PM from someone after they feel the issue has been escalated by your (unintentional) ignoring them, then it's actually a time saver in the long run. Often times, just the acknowledgement that you're aware of their issue might be enough to difuse it.

Now, here is my promise to every user here on ScubaBoard. We are committed to being the friendliest and most relevant diving forum on the internet. We have some really cool features that we will be rolling out soon that I think you will LOVE.

Awwww, I knew that HCT search button was higher on your list than you let on! :wink:

I want to thank y'all for this continuous thread. I've learned a lot -- including a great deal of sympathy for those that have to heard these cats . . .

<snicker>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom