No PADI Cert Card yet. Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, he would have to do all 4 OW dives - it's also a matter of the instructor not being authorized to evaluate, as well not being able to teach. There's very specific training standards for the OW course (well, any course for that matter), and taking a (technically) uncertified diver, not following those standards and and subsequently issuing them a certification would not be something I would want to sign my name to. Certainly there would be a great deal of liability for the instructor that did that - they will be on record as the certifying instructor, and explaining to PADI during a QA review that you violated standards because the student had experience previously by taking a course with a non - teaching status instructor would be a pretty weak excuse =)

If the original instructor didn't have teaching status when did the course, then this student hasn't been evaluated on any confined or open water skills in a manner that meets standards. As already said above, I think the very minimum solution that would get this diver legitimately certified is the Experienced Diver program... Final exam, scuba review and 4 OW dives...

And get your money back for the first course, at a minimum - since it was sold as a PADI sanctioned course, and it obviously wasn't. Certainly PADI will crack down on stores running buckshee courses pretty hard, as it goes to the very core of their business, which at the end of the day is really predicated on quality assurance.

My take on this is that you paid for a product you didn't receive. I would demand that the LDS put me through another course if I were you. Just like if I were to buy something from a store only to get it home and find it doesn't work. I would return it and get another, or get a full refund and find the product elsewhere.

As far as continuing on to AOW without the OW certification, I don't see how you could possibly do this. If the instructor in question is not currently authorized by PADI to teach, then in the eyes of PADI he is simply some diver teaching you. PADI simply will not recognize the certification.

Also, if the instructor's teaching status has been revoked for "quality issues" than you might reasonably assume that your training was not up to the standards.

Also, if the instructor's teaching status has been revoked for "quality issues" than you might reasonably assume that your training was not up to the standards.
Wouldn't the timing matter though? If all teaching and evaluations were done while he was a certified instructor (don't know if this is the case or not), shouldn't his current PADI status be irrelevant?

Wouldn't the timing matter though? If all teaching and evaluations were done while he was a certified instructor (don't know if this is the case or not), shouldn't his current PADI status be irrelevant?

Yes.

But only if the paper work was done/submitted.

It all really sounds like this was a fraud Instructor.

I am looking forward/hoping to hear that PADI will fix this problem on Monday.

I've run into something similar once before. The instructor ended his employment with Sport Chalet, so SC took him off the liability insurance causing PADI put him on 'unauthorized to teach' status until a new insurance policy could be verified.

All it took to rectify the problem was PADI verifying that the date of certification was prior to the date of insurance cancellation.

Sport Chalet will not require this student to pay anything more to get his certification if he has to repeat anything over.

Ill go "worst case scenario" on this one..
If the instructor got his teaching status revoked for being a substandard instructor AFTER he certified the OP, technically his current status should be irrelevant. However there would still be reason to assume that the instructor didnt do a bad job only once and that the OP as such would be badly taught and should, for his own sake, take up any offer he get to recertify to make sure that he has the minimum of training that is in the standards at the very least.
As long as you get offered to recertify for free, the worst thing that can happen is that you waste a few hours repeating things you already know.

Grover 48,

Give me a call at 800-729-7234 ext. 2336. I'm in the Training and Quality Management Department at PADI and can help you with this issue.

Grover 48,

Give me a call at 800-729-7234 ext. 2336. I'm in the Training and Quality Management Department at PADI and can help you with this issue.
:rofl3:
When did PADI outsource QA to folks in Colorado?

I work as a telecommuter from a remote location. I worked at PADI in California for the last 10 years and moved to the mountains this past summer.

I work as a telecommuter from a remote location. I worked at PADI in California for the last 10 years and moved to the mountains this past summer.
Fair enough. You do know that by stating you work for PADI everyone will be asking/expecting you to respond to ALL of the QA and training questions?
Good luck and welcome to Scubaboard.

Back
Top Bottom