No pony on solo shallow teeth dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@aquacat8 I now understand why you want an auxiliary air source. Under the conditions, it sounds like a very good idea.
Actually I was going to to dive in Venice where you can see, but I was thwarted by red tide and now I’m back home in Savannah where I’ve never dared to go to tooth diving, But I’m thinking about it…

I went along once as a bubble watcher and I freedived down the Anchorline and grabbed a handful of rocks. It is utterly black down there, and there is some foolishness in me that makes me feel safer free diving than on Scuba LOL.

Will the visibility improve after the red tide dies off, or is it always like that? The ghost fishing nets etc. are what put me off. And I assume there may be lots of fishing line too. In some ways it sounds like having extra air may just extend the time until you drown. But, like you said, people do it. How much is a shark tooth worth?

We are talking about two different places here:

Venice Florida, where the visibility is not bad, when I was there it was at least 15 feet. Venice is famous for tooth diving. A lot of people do it there and it can get pretty combed over.

Savannah Georgia, where it’s like swimming in chocolate sauce. You have to be a crazy redneck to tooth dive here, but they pull some of the biggest teeth out of the water.

A shark’s tooth is worth what you can get someone to pay for it LOL. I’m not really a tooth diver, I just like excuses to get wet, but those that are into it can be totally obsessed.

One time I was in my local dive shop and there were like 20 tanks there waiting to be filled, and they all belonged to a local tooth diver who does this solo, with no one on his boat, because he’s super secretive about his spots! The guys I went out with had the smallest most bedraggled saddest looking dive flag I’ve ever seen, and I know this was intentional because they didn’t want people to really see that they were diving there LOL.

Back
Top Bottom