No solo diving in overhead environment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really, the problem with overhead environments is the overhead - there is no direct, immediate access to the surface. That situation fundamentally alters the safety of the diver.

It's easy to rationalize against that, especially with a little knowledge or experience. The mistake many people make when doing that rationalization is to underestimate risk. In regards to specific sites (rather than the general issue of overheads) is that it is easy to dismiss individual risks.

"If the site is 'big', I won't get trapped"

"If the site is 'sandy', I won't get a silt-out"

"If the site is well illuminated, I won't get disorientated"

"If I have adequate redundant gas, a failure isn't critical"

Running through a 'tick list' of hazards is appropriate, but it is not total. There are other factors to consider.

Firstly, there is psychology and response - how the individual diver reacts to problems - whether they have appropriate stress management and can end an accident chain, or whether they act inappropriately to amplify problems. Of course, we all like to assume that we aren't panic-prone or bad under pressure. Many will cite a few small examples in their lives as proof of they psychological robustness. Very few can do more than assume though.

Secondly, there is the issue of 'cascade' failures. This goes a long way beyond the simple tick-list above. It is the recognition that failures can, and often do, appear in unison, or at least that one failure can spawn others in a chain. It is simple to account for 'X' or 'Y' failures, but few account for 'X' plus 'Y'.

Lastly, there is the issue of human error. We all make mistakes. But many of us will deny doing so, even to ourselves. When we plan dives, we rarely account for the consequences of making a critical mistake.

The fact is that without immediate, guaranteed, direct access to the surface an unforeseen issue can be fatal. That represents a fundamental shift of incident surviveability. The overhead environment is essentially unforgiving.

What I've said may seem inapplicable to some. There will be denial, for sure. I can't convince anyone of my views via internet discussion. I can, and do, convince people of these realities on a daily basis in-water. That's my job. There's not a tech or wreck student that's been through my training that hasn't experienced a melt-down. It's easy to induce such melt-downs...and I don't do it through harassment.... I do it simply by loading simultaneous, realistic problems whilst also having task-loading the student with routine diving responsibilities. I've experienced it myself also...but not on any recreational course. Those were all 'high-fives' and 'well-done'.

Never heard of anyone getting into trouble in our caves in the way you describe so I'd have to assume that the chances of this happening in our context are remote. At the same time we've had two scuba divers die from fatal shark attacks in our state. In fact we're now the shark attack capital of the world. No one has ever died from a fatal shark attack while diving in our caves so I'd assume this is a relatively safe place to be. :wink:

I heard exactly the same thing about those 'benign' sea-caves in Europe (see the A&I thread), until they claimed several divers. Now people (the dive centers who ran trips to those 'benign' caves) are going to jail.

Read back what you just wrote and ask yourself, honestly, if you might not be prone to a bit of complacency.

That's the benefit of training - it gives you a kick in the ass, reminds you of your limitations and slaps complacency away.

You may be right DD but around here I've got more of a chance of getting killed by a shark. They don't talk about that risk on any of the courses I've done yet.

Never heard of anyone getting into trouble in our caves in the way you describe so I'd have to assume that the chances of this happening in our context are remote.

Not as remote as you might think. If a diver is well trained then they typically have the skills to quickly assess the situation & determine an order to start correcting it. Of course, air supply is absolutely #1 priority, then based on the situation, the diver must sort out the rest of the priority. A couple of excellent reads that illustrate what can go wrong would be Sheck Exley's biography "Caverns Measureless to Man" in which his experiences are well laid out & "Blueprint for Survival" which goes through accident analysis of several different incidents & how they came to create the safe rules of diving we use in cave diving.

More like this:
Rotto 18 Aug  - 28.jpg

Never heard of anyone getting into trouble in our caves in the way you describe so I'd have to assume that the chances of this happening in our context are remote. At the same time we've had two scuba divers die from fatal shark attacks in our state. In fact we're now the shark attack capital of the world. No one has ever died from a fatal shark attack while diving in our caves so I'd assume this is a relatively safe place to be. :wink:

Actually, according to Animal Planet, you are number 3 behind Volusia County, FL and South Africa. You are number one at poorly managing the problem, however. Where we see sharks, we see dollar signs. I don't understand why the NSW government is spending money to eradicate sharks, though. Call in a few Taiwanese fishing boats and they will wipe the sharks out in a matter of a few short seasons.

Sorry for the off topic rant.

Are you familiar with the 5 rules of safe cave diving? 1. (proper) Training 2. (use of a) Guideline 3. Air (gas) management 4. Depth limitations 5. (3) Lights- 1 primary & 2 back- ups. That is the absolute bare minimum a diver should have before entering a cave. In the Italian cave fatalities, there were several of the rules broken. 1. Training- it was a guide taking OW divers into the cave- none the tourists had any overhead training. 2. guideline- The guide did not run a guideline & when it got silted out, he became lost. 3. Gas Management- Being his group were only OW divers, I doubt any of them did any real gas planning, in the event of an emergency. 5. Lights- Doubtful each diver brought as many lights as they should have. As for your picture above, I see a diver without any obvious guideline. Although he is holding his feet up, most trained in overhead environments will remain in a horizontal position, to keep their feet away from the bottom, to prevent stirring up silt. The others would be difficult to determine, based upon the picture alone.

Have another look. I don't think he's carrying a torch either. He is however trained in penetration diving unlike myself.

Don't get me wrong, I fully endorse what you are suggesting in an appropriate context.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom