No water today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionfish-eater

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Repairs on the pipeline force shutdown of water supply:

No running water this Wednesday
July 31, 2019

In Cozumel

COCAG30.jpg

By Gabriel Aguilar

COZUMEL, July 30.- This Wednesday there will be no distribution of drinking water in Cozumel, because a pipeline will receive maintenance when presenting a leak. According to the Potable Water and Sewerage Commission (CAPA), they expect the service to resume in the afternoon.

A water leak that occurred a few meters from the private arena called Cuevas y Torres on the cross road, resulted in the CAPA deciding to suspend the service for this Wednesday between 8 am to 5 pm.

The reason is to undergo repair, for which CAPA staff traveled to Playa del Carmen in search of the parts they will need to repair this asbestos tube that is already several years old and was broken by a “natural cause” .

The workers of the CAPA detected that this leak of water had been caused by the branches of a tree, which as they grew up reached the asbestos conduit and fractured it, causing thousands of liters of water to be poured, so it He had to make a remedy to avoid further loss.

A newsletter of the CAPA announced that before the repair and maintenance of the driving network of base 4 and base 1, the service to the entire population, hotel areas, and newly created subdivisions will be suspended.

It is expected that after 17 hours the distribution of drinking water can begin throughout the city, although it could be little by little, since the entire network has to be filled to reach the different household outlets, but the service will resume once the repair is carried out.

Repairs on the pipeline force shutdown of water supply:

The reason is to undergo repair, for which CAPA staff traveled to Playa del Carmen in search of the parts they will need to repair this asbestos tube that is already several years old and was broken by a “natural cause” .

The workers of the CAPA detected that this leak of water had been caused by the branches of a tree, which as they grew up reached the asbestos conduit and fractured it, causing thousands of liters of water to be poured, so it He had to make a remedy to avoid further loss.

Surely something is being lost in translation, they really aren't using asbestos pipe, right?

LMGTFY

Fibre cement pipes
Featured snippet from the web

A small diameter asbestos-cement pipe has a small bending resisting strength in the longitudinal or axial direction of the pipe. ... The paste layers are wound around a core so as to fabricate a pipe, and the plate is interposed between two of the layers whereby an asbestos-cement pipereinforced by the plate is obtained.Jun 22, 1971

Water is on - to many visitors here today was the story I heard

LMGTFY

Fibre cement pipes
Featured snippet from the web

A small diameter asbestos-cement pipe has a small bending resisting strength in the longitudinal or axial direction of the pipe. ... The paste layers are wound around a core so as to fabricate a pipe, and the plate is interposed between two of the layers whereby an asbestos-cement pipereinforced by the plate is obtained.Jun 22, 1971
Reinforces my desire to not fill my lungs with tap water in Cozumel

FYI - Most homes and of course hotels have LARGE holding tanks (sisterns and/or tinaco's), so even if the water is off for a day, we wouldn't notice it. That just means they aren't pumping new water for that time frame. In my house, I would be able to get by for about a week with no new water pumped in before I ran out.

My little farm town had to shut down our water for a day to work on a pipe between me and the tower. I've been cleaning sand out of filters and flushed my water heater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom